Checking 1-1-1, defns, and anything else you have from last week.
“Husker Du, 3/6.” Write the answer not the letter.
Period One: Test #18.
- A clause is a group of words that contains a _____ and a _____. a) noun/conjunction b) subject/noun c) predicate/verb d) subject/verb e) NOTA
- We climbed slowly up the very steep hill. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- After I ate a doughnut, I felt rapturous. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- When you use a dependent clause as a sentence, that mistake is called a(n) ____. a) independent clause b) run-on c) fragment d) phrase e) NOTA
- The anthro part of anthropomorphic means ______
Period Two: Test #14.
a) reluctant b) contented c) barren d) surfeit e) prosperous f) scowl g) begrudge h) lout i) berate j) graft
- “The government doesn’t like us here. We have to pay big ____ to keep our business.”
- He didn’t think the judgment was fair, so he only paid the money ______(ingly).
- The power outlets in Europe are not ____ with our electrical plugs. a) ongoing b) capable c) compatible d) notion e) whereas
- Madely studied for the test and earned an A ______ Wyatt didn’t study and earned a D. a) ongoing b) capable c) compatible d) notion e) whereas
- True/False? If someone said something in a lecture or on TV or in an interview I did, I don’t have to cite it in my paper because it is not written.
Period Three: Test #8.
- I got all ____ on my report card. a) A’s b) As c) ‘A’s d) NOTA
- The _____ lounge is usually off-limits to students. (More than one.) a) teacher’s b) teachers c) teachers’s d) teachers’ e) NOTA
- _____ llama is that? a) whose b) who’se c) who’s d) NOTA
- I think that llama is _____. a) they’re b) theres c) their’s d) theirs e) NOTA
- When Johnny smiles before he dies, it’s because… a) he’s dying a hero. b) the greasers won the rumble. c) he wanted to die anyway. d) Dally was proud of him. e) he remembered a joke Pony made in the church. f) He knew it was worth dying for those kids. g) NOTA
Period Five: Test #16.
a) vivid b) saw c) aspire d) pacify e) daunting f) diminutive g) pragmatic h) volatile i) dilemma j) iconic
- She faced a _____ about turning in her friend for cheating.
- The root of this word means “life.” _____
- Reading Shakespeare for the first time can be rather ______.
- They tried to ______ the angry mob by telling them their concerns would be addressed.
- “Dig and be dug in return” is Langston Hughes’s version of the old ____ about treating others how you want to be treated.
- The mayfly’s life is very _____. A mayfly only lives to reproduce and is alive for only 24 hours.
- After the police mishandled the fight, it ____(ed) into a riot.
- He tried to ___ his income by selling magazines door to door.
- The Pills ____ the Stirrings, as well as deep feelings and emotions.
- Some teachers keep their classrooms very cold because they think it keeps the students from being too ____.
- The people of the Community think they have created a utopia, but to us it looks more like a ____.
- The amount of food coupons given to the Jews only allowed them very ______ portions, not enough to get by legally.
- The prisoners in Auschwitz were kept in ______ conditions.
- * The closing of the factory has economic _____ for the entire community
“Giver, 9-10.” Write the answer. Use quotes where asked for. (10p)
- (3) Jonas’s sheet only had eight instructions. All but three of them disturbed him. Which three were the least disturbing to him? (p65)
- (quote) Why does the final rule unnerve Jonas so much?
- What happened to the previous selection for the new Receiver?
- Why are The Receiver’s doors locked? a) So nobody can find Jonas. b) To protect the Receiver. c) To make sure no one breaks in and steals his things. d) Because he does “inappropriate” things like being rude. e) All dwelling doors are locked. f) To insure privacy. g) NOTA
- What is the most conspicuous difference between The Receiver’s dwelling and Jonas’s own dwelling?
- The Receiver looks so old because he is. a) True b) False
- What memories does the Receiver hold?
- What shocked Jonas so much at the end of chapter 10?