Reminder: Outsiders Projects are due TOMORROW! No “virtual” copies; I want old school PAPER!
“Transitions, 10/17.” meanwhile, furthermore, first, third, in fact, until then, consequently, in contrast, nevertheless, however, for example, as a result
- He stayed up too late last night. ______, he slept until noon.
- I would like to read many books; _____, I don’t seem to have enough time to read.
- John ate and ate; _____, he never gained weight.
- I want you to buy milk, eggs, and fruit juice; ____, I want you to be sure to get cereal and ice cream.
- She had been studying for hours and knew all the material. ______, she hoped to do well on the test.
- Write a sentence about Alyce using the transition word therefore.
- (Lawyer’s Office) “This is the letter A. It’s the first letter of the alphabet. So much for the initial consultation. Further advice requires $1000.” ______
- (Giant wave and huge storm.)_____
- (Mickey being pulled along by the aroma of a cake.) _____
- (Pic of willow tree bark and bottle of aspirin.) _____
- responsible : disreputable :: calm : ____ (Bonus: Add -ing to another vocab word and it becomes a 2nd correct answer!)
- I cannot ____ someone who cheats. He or she will face consequences.
- Winning the lottery is not always the _____ people think it will be.
- Some people think it’s a good idea to build a giant fence to try to _____ the flow of illegal drugs and immigrants.
- On the last day of school, the screams of joy will _____ in the hallways.
- He bought his computer from a(n) ____ dealer, and when it broke the next day, they told him he was out of luck. (Not sham.)
- We must all ____ by the same rules.
- The word midwife is a ______ of the Middle English words meaning “with woman.”
- * Many of the the company’s factory workers have been ____(ed) by industrial robots.
“TMA Quick Quiz, 10/17.” (6)
- On p26, what does the word “laden” mean? (middle paragraph)
- Why does the merchant give Beetle the comb? (p29)
- Read the paragraph on p33 that begins, “‘ Alyce!’ The midwife snorted…” What does it mean when she says “punctuated each name with a pot thrown in the girl’s direction…”?
- What does the last line of chapter 5 mean?
- Why does Alyce save Will?
- Name someone who is nice to Alyce.
Mmmmm, Snail Jelly…