Tomorrow’s Test: Husker Du, S/CD/CX, Giver
Tonight’s Reading: Chapters 11 and 12.
Due Tomorrow: 1-1-1’s for 7,8,9,10,11,12.
“Husker Du, 2/21.”
- Compound and complex sentences must contain at least two… a) phrases. b) conjunctions. c) commas. d) FANBOYS. e) clauses. f) NOTA
- Words like since, unless and because signify that a sentence is… a) Simple. b) Compound. c) Complex. d) NOTA
- The crew checked the llama, and the captain prepared it for the sea. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
- We can wait here until Carlos calls us. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
- Although it seemed essential to eat broccoli, I watched tv instead. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
- A clause must contain… a) a subject and a verb b) a conjunction and a noun c) a verb and a conjunction d) a noun, a verb and a conjunction e) a phrase f) NOTA
- The anthro part of anthropomorphic means… a) past b) funny c) ancient d) human e) NOTA
- The morphic part of anthropomorphic means… a) changed b) shaped c) animal-like d) human-like e) NOTA
- _____ I was concentrating on my homework, I forgot about the soup, and it boiled over. a) Nevertheless b) Furthermore c) Meanwhile d) Still e) As a result f) Because g) NOTA
- Sentence #9 is a _____ sentence. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
- Combine the following sentences into one complex sentence: He didn’t want to embarrass the llama. He didn’t hug him.
- Combine the following sentences into a compound sentence: I like pizza. The llama prefers sardines.
- Combine the following sentences into a simple sentence: The llama rode down the street. He was carrying an umbrella. He was on a unicycle.
“Giver, 9-10.” Write the answer. Use quotes where asked for. (10p)
- (3) Jonas’s sheet only had eight instructions. All but three of them disturbed him. Which three were the least disturbing to him? (p65)
- (quote) Why does the final rule unnerve Jonas so much?
- What happened to the previous selection for the new Receiver?
- Why are The Receiver’s doors locked? a) So nobody can find Jonas. b) To protect the Receiver. c) To make sure no one breaks in and steals his things. d) Because he does “inappropriate” things like being rude. e) All dwelling doors are locked. f) To insure privacy. g) NOTA
- What is the most conspicuous difference between The Receiver’s dwelling and Jonas’s own dwelling?
- The Receiver looks so old because he is. a) True b) False
- What memories does the Receiver hold?
- What shocked Jonas so much at the end of chapter 10?
Read aloud ch 11 —>