“AWs, 9/30.” Each word gets used twice! design (noun/verb) a plan; a blueprint; a drawing feature (noun) quality, trait, characteristic sufficient (adjective) enough; adequate valid (adjective) defensible; true transfer (verb) to move from one place to another
NOT _____ logic.
Although he tried hard, his performance was not ____ to make the team
The prefix of this word means across or through: _____.
(2) A ______ ______ of many phones is the lack of a physical home button.
(2) My mom said my reasoning was not ____(ly) _____, so I lost the argument.
The new car had many optional ___(s) you could add for extra money.
1.”Don’t blame me! I don’t make the laws, I just _____them!”
2. “What’s a _____, Joey?” “I knew you were going to say that!”
3. It was Ug’s discovery, but it would be____(ed) by others.
4. “Finding work may not make you happy, but it would make me _____(ly) happy.”
5. I was _____ and bored when Mom made me go to my sister’s ballet recital.
6. Dally’s [_____] ______(s) have landed him in jail more than once. [ ] = one of last week’s vocab words = extra credit.
7. The school newspaper has been __ for a long while, but they hope to revive it next year.
8. Grandpa Simpson likes to ____ about his days as a young man when things were “better.”
9. The greasers and the Socs have agreed to a sort of _____-fire before the rumble. They have agreed not to fight until the big one.
10. The large farm owners are often accused of ____(ing) the workers who pick the crops.
“FROs, 9/26.” Can you prove you deserve to be exempt? You must fly SOLO on this one a) Fragment b) Run On c) Correct Sentence
While my llama gently weeps.
Up one side and down the other went the llama.
While the llama is a quadruped, he also has fins for swimming.
In the beginning, there was nothing but llamas.
That time the llama trained to be a ninja.
You can beat the llama’s score you will be part of the elite llama squad.
The llama won the race although he had a broken leg.
The llama couldn’t call his agent his cell phone was dead.
Across the frozen wasteland, chasing the wild llama.
Up, up, and away flew my beautiful llama balloon.
“Sentence SCRAMBLE, 9/26.” Use every word. Do not break up the pieces any more. Rearrange the chunks until you get the right-sounding sentence. Write it down.
“Vocab, 9/25.” You will use words more than once.
1. ____ 2. ____ 3._____ 4.____ **5._____
6. flashback : reveals :: ____ : foreshadows
7. He was a bit ____ after he got hit in the head during the rumble.
8. Two-Bit told Pony about one of his ____(s) while Pony did the dishes.
9. The company that made that toy is now ______, so you can’t buy it any more.
10. mature : juvenile :: clear-headed : _______
11. The thief ____(ed) the alarm system, and was able to steal the jewels.
12. It is sometimes fun to ___ a little brother or sister’s lack of savvy.
“FROs, 9/25.” FIX the wrong ones! (5)
As the llama wandered too close to the fire.
Although he was a llama, he was a person too.
Llamas speak Spanish I didn’t know that.
Is that a llama?
The strange life of the llama is a mystery to most of us.
I don’t like how your llama is staring at me.
That embarrassing moment when you realize your llama just wrote a run-on sentence.
The llama and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Up, up, and away in my beautiful llama balloon.
All llamas aren’t like that you have to believe me.
“Sentence SCRAMBLE, 9/25.” NEW! Sentence Scrambles. Use every word.Do not break up the pieces. DO NOT ADD ANY. Rearrange the chunks until you get the right-sounding sentence. Write it down. There might be more than one way!
Checking definitions. Did you get 2 for “exploit”?
“Vocab, 9/24.” * = AW.
At the family reunion, we sat around ___(ing) about the last reunion.
The world traveler’s _____(s) made for an exciting book.
The quarterback ____(ed) every weakness in the defense, and threw for 5 touchdowns.
“Johnnycake made a kind of a gasp and his eyes were ______(ing) with rage.”
Ponyboy has a ______ when they first arrive at the church that something bad might happen. (Bonus: What’s the literary version of this?)
reminisce : predict :: obey : _____
* Mr. Calandro is trying to encourage a ______ of kindness here at Laguna. (2 acceptable.)
“FROs, 9/24.” CS, F, RO?
Five times in a row the llama rode the roller coaster.
The bell rang the llama came out swinging.
For example, the introduction of llamas into the classroom.
May groan, spit, or kick.
A young llama, while a bit awkward, is still a scary opponent.
What a llama is.
Up one side and down the other went the llama.
This restaurant discriminates against llamas let’s boycott it!
Joey and the llama went hiking and fishing in the country.
He introduced the llama to his parents because he liked it.
“Sentence Combining, 9/24.”AS A GROUP, come up with the smoothest sounding sentence you can for each group. EVERYBODY must have the sentence combo written down before you move to the next one. Be sure to read the sentence aloud to yourself before you decide it’s OK. When I call on your group, you must all read the sentence out loud together.
1a. The table is littered with garbage. 1b. The garbage belongs to the “other guy.” HINT: Use an apostrophe!
2a. Dishes are stacked in a clutter. 2b. Cups are stacked in a clutter. 2c. Yogurt cartons are stacked in a clutter. 2d. The clutter is disgusting. HINT: Commas + and!
3a. Off to one side is a hamburger. 3b. The hamburger is half-eaten. 3c. Flies swarm about there. 3d. The swarming is hungry. HINT: Swarming, hungrily.
Question for the Homie Groups:
What was the inciting incident of the Pony vs Darry conflict? What was the climax?