Vladek in his own words!
- It would be ___ of a dishwasher to tell the master chef how to do things.
- All her emotions were released in a ___ moment on the stage as 20,000 people cheered.
- Much of the agriculture in the rest of the world is made up of _____(ence) farms, that barely grow enough food for the family working on it.
- MacGyver could ____ together almost anything from a bomb to a hang-glider from bits of trash he found lying around.
- Artie says Richieu’s picture on the wall of his parents’ room was a sort of _____ to him, implying that Richieu would have been a better son than he is.
- After the long siege, the city knew it was ____ to resist any longer…
- …and they finally _____(ed) to the stronger army.
- Though he came from a very religious family, he was still _____ about organized religion; he wasn’t sure what to think.
- *** (3) _______ usually ______(s) _______.
Rubric (40 points)
- (1-6) Introduction-Presentation: How well done? Did reader give title, author, and genre of the book and brief setting of the scene? Did reader capture the audience’s attention immediately?
- (1-6) Mechanics: Reading Clarity. Is the pacing good? Are words pronounced correctly and easily understood? Are words read slowly enough for the audience’s understanding? Is there enough volume?
- (1-6) Stage Presence: Does the reader appear confident? Does the reader establish eye contact with the audience during the intro? Are gestures, if any, natural and appropriate to the reading? Does it look like she/he has practiced?
- (1-6) Reading Interpretation: Are characters identifiable/differentiated by your voice? Can you tell when it’s a question? Can you tell when description ends and dialogue begins? CAN YOU AVOID THE MONOTONE DRONE?
- (1-6) Quality of Selection: Is it entertaining, whether dramatic, suspenseful, or funny? Does it make us want to read the book?
- (1-6) Audience Appeal: Is the reader holding the listeners’ attention? Overall impression?
- (1-?) Level of Difficulty: A typical page from The Outsiders = 3
- Four or fewer “uh’s” or inappropriate “likes.” (Subtract 1 point for each after four.)
- 105-135 seconds long, with at least half being oral reading. (-1 point for every 15 seconds too long or short)
- Bonus? Judges may award up to 4 bonus points for performances above and beyond the call of duty. (Props, costumes, extra dramatic, extra smooth, etc.)