Copy homework into planner.
advocate (noun/verb) supporter
contrary (adjective) opposite; opposing
prohibit (verb) to not allow; to forbid
release (verb) to let go; to set free
reverse (verb) to change back; to overturn
- _____ (2)
- The root of this word means “voice.” _____
- His conviction was ______(ed) after the appeal. –>Bonus opportunity: Use a previous vocab word to fill in the next blank–This means he was now _____(ed).
- ______ to popular belief, one human year does not equal seven “dog years.”
- “_____ the hounds,” is what Mr. Burns says when he wants his dogs to get rid of someone.
- Cell phones are _____(ed) in this class, unless otherwise specified by Mr. Coward.
- Your lawyer is supposed to be your _____ in court and speak for you.
- The word ______ is sometimes used to mean death.
NEWSELA ARTICLES! Reading Skillz Check #1.
- Go to newsela.com. On the left side you will see a line that says, “Student? Enter Class Code.”
- Here are the class codes to enter:
- 1st Period: YFZN8H
- 2nd Period: B4HZGN
- 5th Period: TZGSU6
- 6th Period: NSKS6T
- Enter the code, click join, and then LOG IN with GOOGLE!
- Once you are logged in…
- On the drop-down menu labeled “Collections” choose “Reading Skills Check.”
- Scroll down and choose 7th grade
- Or go here: https://newsela.com/text-sets/447696/?collection_id=177&new_ui=true
- Pick any one of the nine articles, read it carefully, and then do the 8-question quiz. Don’t take forever to decide; we are on short periods today.
- You are encouraged to look back and forth from questions to article to help you answer them.
- If you finish early, start work on your vocab homework.