- The man finally ______(ed) his intense thirst with a drink from the fountain.
- The smell of brownies _____ the house and made me very hungry.
- The goal of immigrants used to be _____(ion), but these days people are proud of their differences.
- With more than 42,000 locations worldwide, Subway Sandwich places are _____.
- Mr. Coward is not happy about Zoltan’s less than _____ papers. They are very difficult to decipher, and scores might get entered incorrectly.
- (2) Whenever she was _____, she always seemed to find _____ in her music.
“Simple, Compound, Complex Sentences.”
I = Independent Clause D = Dependent Clause.
(S) Simple Sentence (S) = One I.
(CD) Compound Sentence (CD) = I + I, joined by a comma and one of the FANBOYS (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so)
(CX) Complex Sentence (CX) = I + D or D + I, joined by although, since, because, while, when, if… etc.)
“S/CD/CX, 1/28.” Write S, CD, or CX for each sentence.
- I like turtles because they are cute.
- The llama is a quadruped
with fins for swimming.
- I sent the llama to the store before the party started.
- Katy tried to call me , but my phone was dead.
- You would like it if you were a llama.
- Herbie the llama ate some pizza , so he didn’t want dinner.
- He failed the test after he ignored the warning.
- He forgot to practice , yet he still did well.
- Jenni ate the hot dog , and she got sick.
- Because Jenni ate the hot dog, she got sick.
- Bonus for +1: Why is #10 a “better” sentence than #9?
Checking 600 Words. Dates 1/21 – 1/28. Make chart and double check sheets.
Topics for your consideration:
- Describe a clothing fashion (fad, hit song, TV show) you like or dislike. Why?
- Is there too much violence on TV? In the movies? What makes you think so? If so, what effects might that have on kids?
- If you could invite 2-3 figures from history to dinner, whom would they be? Why them? Maybe even show the dinner, especially the conversation. Example: Hitler, Jesus, Albert Einstein (who was Jewish).
- What is your favorite word, and why?
- “Kids today…”
- How to impress your teacher…
- Top ten most boring (or exciting or interesting or fun) things, and why!
- Turn you paper over and make a dot anywhere on the page. Stare at it for awhile. Now turn your paper over and start writing about what it could be and/or mean.
- If I could talk to__________, I would say…
- Write a commercial (complete with a jingle) for yourself…for your favorite class…for your favorite…???
The original Maus (1972!), and other background.