ZoomaZoom Link: https://zoom.us/j/6580428380?pwd=SCs3NDRHcUJIbWE1SXdQVUdKUGpZdz09
“Warm Up, 8/26(27)” (Individual – First 4 minutes!) Write the answers in the notebook. GUESS if you don’t know!
- What is an analogy?
- What is pretty much the only way to earn “extra credit” in this class?
- What does SMYK stand for?
- What does MYOB stand for?
“Vocabulary, 8/26(27).” (In groups) All answers will be vocabulary words. Use your definitions and your group homies to help you. For #1-4, choose which word best fits the picture, and be prepared to explain why you think so. If you can justify more than one word for a picture, you might receive bonus credit. Write the answers in your notebook.
bliss, infer, bleak, nonchalant, gingerly, rueful, savvy, conform, sage, fathom, connotation
- pain : pleasure :: confusion : ______
- rules : requirements :: happiness : ____
- For Esteban, the word dropout had the ____ of a gang member with a can a spray paint.
- I was able to _____ the meaning of the word from the way it was used.
- Nobody could _____ why he liked school so much even though he got all F’s.
- Even though I was nervous, I tried to act cool and ______.
As we correct, DRAW A LINE THROUGH ANY INCORRECT ANSWER, and write the correct answer next to it. DO NOT ERASE! Put your total ( /10) at the top.
by Langston Hughes
I play it cool
and dig all jive.
That’s the reason
I stay alive.
As I live and learn
Dig and Be Dug
|“Motto, 8/26(27).” (in your notebook. In groups.)
1) What is a motto?
2) What do you think he means by “Dig and Be Dug In Return”?
3) What other saying(s) have you heard or use might mean something similar?
What TWO things does the slang term DIG mean?
Short Explanation Paper Assignment. Due Next Thursday (Pers. 1-3) / Friday (Pers 4-6).