Warm Up during Roll:
- Check in with a word beginning with the letter J.
- What “day” of the week is it in this class? Answer in CHAT, BUT DO NOT HIT ENTER UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO!
- Which of the following sentences (A or B) is “better” and why? Answer in CHAT, BUT DO NOT HIT ENTER UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO!
- A. The llama ate some bad sushi, and he got sick.
- B. Because the llama ate some bad sushi, he got sick.
- Time for a new KBAR Chart! Make it now!
- Time for a New Topic in the new forum! Don’t do that until you’ve read today!
- If the Forum gives a weird error message, JUST GO BACK AND LOG IN AGAIN!
- No school Friday! That means no KBARR Friday!
- Email me a pic of last week’s chart (9/21-9/25) by 3:00 pm.
- Due Today: SMYK’s.
Title in Notebook: “FRO’s 9/28 (9/29).”
Instructions: For each “sentence” write: CS = Correct Sentence, F = Fragment, or RO = Run on.
- Hide in burrows and beneath rocks.
- Although the llama wandered too close to the fire.
- Fighting with a sword in one hand and a shield in the other, he battled the vicious llama.
- Herds of fiendish llamas called dooms roam the empty countryside.
- The strange life of the llama.
- Jack and Jill and the llama went up the hill to fetch a pail of water then they fell down.
- The llama fell down and broke his crown Jack and Jill fell in the well.
- The llama went over the hills and through the wood to get to Grandmother’s house, but she wasn’t home.
- Because the llama ate too much cheese, he forgot to do his KBARR.
Title in notebook: “Noun, Verb, Adjective, 9/28 (9/29).”
Instructions: Copy each underlined word, and write whether it is a noun, verb, or adjective, or none of the above.
For a brief moment, Jimmy stupidly thought he could fly like a graceful bird across the blue sky.
- brief. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- moment. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- stupidly. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- fly. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- across. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
Checking for SMYK’s!
Title in Notebook: “Vocab, 9/28 (9/29).”
Instructions: Use you vocab definitions to choose the correct word for each picture or blank. You might use some more than once; you might not use them all.
dogged, indignant, conducive, wistful, implore, subside, acquit, leery, gorge, bluff
Collaborative in Breakouts.
- _____ (Hint: Why did he move?)
- “Johnny and I ______(ed) ourselves on barbecue sandwiches and banana splits.”
- lazy : dogged :: flattered : ______
- Since I studied, I ________(ed) myself quite well on the test!
- Moisture and heat help create an environment _____ to the growth of bacteria.
- The team’s ____ defense is what kept them in the game. They never gave up.
- Pony was _____ when he thought of his parents, remembering how nice things used to be.
- The students ____(ed) the teacher to go easy on them. “Please?” they begged.
Next Writing Assignment:
“Fun.” SHOW (don’t tell) me you in the middle of having fun! The dust hitting you in the face as you bomb down the hill on your bike, dodging the ruts and holes… etc! Show me what it looks and feels and sounds like from your point of view while you are having FUN!
What does that look, feel, sound like? Don’t tell me what you like to do; SHOW me you in the middle of doing it! 350+ words, share your Gdoc with me, ndp, creative title. No opinions!
- Due Monday, 10/5 for Periods 1-3.
- Due Tuesday 10/6 for Periods 5,6.
The Outsiders! Chapter 2… This will be a significant portion of the test!