Check in in Chat: (PRIVATE) (___/8): List the nouns (n), verbs (v), and adjectives (adj) in the following sentence. Also say whether the sentence is S, CD, or CX:
Homer stupidly slipped on the slick ice, but he luckily fell on his fat head.
Periods 5,6: SGI TODAY (12/9): ON YOUR OWN:
- Go to NewsELA.com and log in.
- Follow the instructions for the Reading Skillz Check 1. Do a second article. CHOOSE a DIFFERENT ARTICLE THAN THE ONE YOU CHOSE LAST TIME.
- If you don’t see the assignment, click the Assignments Tab.
- If you were not here when we NEWSELA’ed last time, send me an email.
HOMEWORK UPDATE. NEW! Writing Assignment. Explanation Paper.
- Explain how to do something step by step.
- Start by showing WHY you might want to learn this.
- Explain step by step what to DO. Be sure to use appropriate transition words.
- Conclude with tips for trying it out and/or taking it further.
- 450+ words. Shared GDoc. Title. NDP. Due Monday, 12/14 for Periods 1,2,3 and Tuesday, 12/15 for Periods 5,6.
Test #8 is Thursday (12/10) for Periods 1,2,3 and Friday (12/11) for Periods 5,6.
Preview is here: Test08-preview.
The test covers vocab, Outsiders, transitions, and Husker Du.
The RETAKE TEST WILL BE DIFFERENT THIS TIME!
“Transitions, 12/8 (12/9).” Pick the BEST transition for the blank. Do not use a transition more than once. meanwhile, furthermore, although, in fact, until then, consequently, in contrast, nevertheless, however, for example, as a result, because
- I know Pedro quite well. _____, Pedro happens to be my best friend.
- John ate and ate _____ he never gained weight.
- _____ I was concentrating on my homework, I forgot about the soup, and it boiled over.
- You can set the table. _____, I will start making dinner.
- There were also some very small dinosaurs. ____, the compsognathus was only slightly larger than a chicken.
“Vocabulary 12/8 (12/9).”
- (roguish pirate pic)_____
- (two side of a bridge under construction that don’t line up)_____ (not sham)
- (a woman hungrily eyeing a jar of cookies)_____
- (a guy striking a huge gong) ____
- Everyone promised to ____ by Judge Judy’s decision.
- The large donation was quite a(n) _____ for the poor little non-profit organization.
- Investors lost millions on the ______ investment scheme. (not incompetent)
- The cat liked to “bite at the ____(ingly) moving pen.”
- (2) Is high-technology a _____ for mankind, or is it a _____ and just another way for companies to sell more stuff?
- (2) Job Applicants’ Coach: “Always remember that the most ____ person is the person who can hide his ____(ce) best.”