Check-in in Chat:
1. Type a Compound sentence (I + I) about llamas. (Hint: comma + FANBOYS)
2. Type a Complex sentence (I + D or D + I) about pizza. (Hint: although, since, because, while, if, therefore, when)
EVERYONE comes back for SGI to Show Me You Know. Period 5: 1:30 Period 6: 2:00
Title in Notebook: “S/CD/CX, 11/4 (11/5).”
Write S, CD (I + I), or CX (D + I, I + D) for each sentence.
- Herbie the llama ate some grass , but it gave him gas.
- He failed the test after he ignored the warning.
- The llama robbed a bank with a toy gun.
- The llama forgot to practice therefore he did not do well.
- Jenni ate the hot dog , and she got sick.
- Because Jenni ate the hot dog, she got sick.
- Bonus for +1: Why is #6 a “better” sentence than #5?
Title in Notebook: “Vocabulary, 11/4 (11/5).”
More than one possible on some. You will use words more than once.
- confused : savvy :: bored : ______(ed)
- His feeling of accomplishment was ______(ed) when he found out that EVERYONE received an A on the test.
- “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” This means that whoever is doing the _____(ing) is the one who judges how beautiful something is.
- She speaks both French and German with equal ______. She’s never nervous about it.
- His political ____(s) tried to prevent him from winning the election. (Bonus for actually spelling the plural form correctly!)
- Which word best captures the Soc’s attitude (attitude!) toward the greasers? ____
- He was ___(ed) to his room until his homework was finished.
- As the snowfall ____(ed), we were finally able to see the road.
The Outsiders! Use your fingers to show the answer: a = 1, b = 2, etc.
- The fact that Johnny is getting more out of the book they’re reading than Pony, even though Pony is the “smart” one, is an example of irony. a) True b) False
- The real message of “Nothing Gold Can Stay” is that bad things always happen. a) True b) False
- Which quote so far best connects to the title of the novel? a) “How’d you like to live with that?” b) “I guess we’re different.” c) “Too bad it couldn’t stay like that all the time.” d) “Things have been happening so fast…” e) “I bet they were cool old guys.”
- The same character said all five of the quotes in the previous question. Which one? a) Pony b) Soda c) Dally d) Johnny e) Darry f) Two Bit g) Steve
- Chapter 5 would be considered part of the ______ of this story. a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) NOTA
Read aloud into Chapter 6!