Check in in Chat (PUBLIC): If the rumble and the deaths of Johnny and Dally are all at the top of Plot Mountain as the parts of the Climax, tell where each of the following incidents would be (PUBLIC): Choices: exposition, rising action, inciting incident, falling action, resolution
a) P and J cutting their hair b) the hearing in court c) Revealing that the book is Pony’s essay for English d) Johnny stabbing Bob e) Dally hassling the girls
Go over Homework.
SGI: Go to NEWSELA and do another reading skills check. You should have 3 done by the end of today!
Warm Up in Chat: (PUBLIC) What do you think the following quote means? (PUBLIC.)
“It’s like it ain’t so much what a fellow does, but it’s the way the majority of folks is looking at him when he does it.”
|Poem #435 by Emily Dickinson
Much Madness is divinest Sense–
|Madness = insanity/craziness
divinest = most perfect, the best
discerning = looking very carefully/showing good judgement
starkest = most obvious
All = everything
prevail = decides/wins/rules
assent = say yes
demur = say no
In Chat (PRIVATE):
According to the poem:
- Who decides who’s normal and who’s crazy?
- What does “as ALL” mean?
Think and Discuss:
- What is the purpose of fear? In other words, why do we get scared?
- What fears might be called “universal”; shared by most almost all humans?
- Why do we like it sometimes? (Don’t say, “It’s fun.” Duh.)
- How does fear affect the decisions you make?
- In general, what are (most) humans scared of?
Link to TELEPLAY: Monsters-are-Due-on-Maple-Street-Script
Basic script vocabulary: pan, zoom, voiceover, etc.