SGI for Thursday, 1/7: I sent an email to those required to come in the afternoon. Anyone else who wants help or needs to try to clear a zero is also invited.
Check in in Chat (PRIVATE): Type the ANSWER, not the letter.
- In Poem #435, Emily Dickinson says that “the Majority” always prevailed on the question of… a) what is the right thing to do. b) who’s weird and who isn’t. c) who’s cool and who isn’t. d) who’s important and who isn’t. e) All of the above. f) NOTA
- Poem #435 says that if a person looked very carefully… a) he would see that everyone is weird. b) he would see that what might look weird really isn’t. c) he would see that what might seem sane really isn’t. d) All of the above. e) b and c. f) NOTA
- Poem #435 says that if you disagree with the majority… a) you’re weird. b) you’re stupid. c) you’re considered dangerous. d) you’re doing the right thing. e) all of the above. f) NOTA
Checking Vocab Definitions.
Words of the day: colloquial and idiosyncrasy
“Vocab, 1/6 (1/7).”
- “If there are no other ideas, then it’s agreed we blame the media.” _____
- Since I hadn’t studied, I was ______ about my chances on the difficult test.
- The hill with the M on it is known _____(ly) as Madonna Mountain, but its real name is… (Bonus 1: Real name. Bonus 2: en Espanol.)
- Mr. Calandro is trying to _____ a sense of kindness in the students of Laguna.
- The replays of the rescue ____ TV watchers all over the country.
- The _____ of two full moons in one month is called a blue moon.
- The root of this word means “shape.” ______
- He didn’t think the judgement was fair, so he only paid the money ______(ingly).
- There is always a ______of food and drink at the MidState Fair.
- True or False? Always taking the same route to school is a good example of an idiosyncrasy.
- True/False? Referring to a judge as “Your Honor,” is an example of colloquial language.
“The Monsters are Due On Maple Street”
IN CHAT (PRIVATE – MINI QUIZ):
- What do the people of Maple Street think the UFO is at first?
- Who gets them thinking it might be something else?
- What is the inciting incident in MoMS?
Act/Read until end of Act I.
Watch Act II. (Screen Share, start at 10:00)
(IF YOU ARE ABSENT WHEN WE WATCH THIS, YOU MUST FINISH READING THE PLAY ON YOUR OWN FOR THE TEST!)
Link to TELEPLAY: Monsters-are-Due-on-Maple-Street-Script
If there’s time in your class:
After. IN CHAT – PRIVATE. Valid and Invalid conclusions.
- The people of Maple Street, motivated by fear, jump to several INVALID CONCLUSIONS. Name three Invalid Conclusions made about characters in the play.
- Who were the real Monsters?