Checking: KBAR/120 book? Yaller sheet p154?
Tomorrow “Test”: S/CD/CX (see below) and Vladek
Correct Complex Sentences Sheet (p154 – 15p).
“S/CD/CX 1/13.” Answer with:
S for Simple (one I)
CD for Compound (I + I. Look for the FANBOYS.)
CX for Complex (I + D or D + I. Look for the other kind of conjunctions. p154)
- Joe waited for the llama to arrive, but she was late.
- The llama was late because she missed the bus.
- Joe and the llama rode a tandem bike to the pizza place.
- While Joe likes pizza, the llama prefers sushi.
- They agreed to compromise, and they ate sushi pizza.
- Neither Joe nor the llama enjoyed it very much.
- If I had a hammer, I’d hammer in the morning.
- The cheese is on the table with little toothpicks in it.
- Claudio ate several hotdogs, went on a ride, and ate several more
- Rudolpho was upset because his mom ate the last of the cheeselog.
- Bonus: Name all 7 FANBOYS without looking.
- Bonus: Which type of sentence is usually preferred in good writing, compound or complex? Why do you think?
Prep for 120 Seconds. Writing your intro. You need about 200 words.
- Start with a little hook:
- Imagine yourself…
- Throughout history mankind has…
- It was a dark and stormy night…
- What do you call a… (joke)
- Once upon a time…
- Have you ever wondered…
- What if…
- Jimmy was a boy who…
- Scary, gripping, and difficult to put down…
- Give us the required info:
- Genre (Not just fiction/non; we want something like romance, sci fi, horror, mystery, fantasy, comedy, historical fiction, etc.)
- Time for the 5 W’s for the BOOK:
- This is the story of…
- This book is about…
- Set in the future…
- Not too much detail; you have less than a minute.
- Now to set up the PASSAGE:
- This is the part of the book where…
- This is the scene when…
- _____ is about to _____