Tomorrow’s Test: Husker Du for your class, Vocab including (the easy) SAWs, Giver.
Due Tomorrow: Final Draft of Interview, printed and posted to your blog.
Husker Du, 3/2.” First Period. Test 18.
- We climbed slowly up the very steep hill. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- After I ate a doughnut, I felt rapturous. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- There are some things in life that we’ll never know. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- How many battles did Vladek fight in as a soldier? a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4 e) 0
- How does the German officer at the POW camp know that Vladek isn’t used to physical labor? a) He acts lazy. b) He tries to get out of working. c) His hands. d) He looks weak. e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/2.” Second Period. Test 6.
- How/when does Pony finally realize that Darry really does care about him? a) When he says, “Oh Ponyboy, your hair…” b) When he reads the letter from Soda. c) When Darry offers him a cigarette. d) When Darry starts crying. e) When he rescues Pony from the fire.
- This would be the _____ of the Pony v Darry conflict. a) climax b) inciting action c) exposition d) rising action e) NOTA
- Months may pass between attacks, but when they do occur, they are violent. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- There are shells all over the beach, let’s collect some! a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- This a fragment? a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
“Husker Du, 3/2.” Third Period. Test 5.
- “You’re so ___. You probably think this song is about you.” a) discrete b) discreet c) reluctant d) vain e) illicit
- The teacher tried to ___ the correct response from the students by giving hints. a) patronize b) elicit c) hysterical d) stamina e) illicit
- Into the hole fell he. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- He explained the rules of the game and demonstrated it. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- Which quote best connects to the title of the novel The Outsiders? a) “How’d you like to live with that?” b) “I guess we’re different.” c) “Too bad it couldn’t stay like that all the time.” d) “Things have been happening so fast…” e) “I bet they were cool old guys.”
“Husker Du, 3/1.” Sixth Period. Test 19.
- You may _______ to someday be as cool as Mr. Coward. a) iconic b) pacify c) saw d) aspire e) NOTA
- The swastika is a(n) ______symbol of evil. a) pragmatic b) daunting c) iconic d) aspiring e) NOTA
- The amount of work required in an Honors class can be quite _______. a) diminutive b) skinflint c) volatile d) daunting e) NOTA
- The word anthropomorphic means… a) shape change b) man change c) transform man d) man shaped e) NOTA
- Why was Vladek sometimes wearing a pig mask? a) He’s in disguise. b) He’s pretending that he’s Polish. c) He’s pretending he’s German. d) He’s pretending he’s not Jewish. e) NOTA
- _____ (NOT: benign, scrupulous, haphazard, or indolent, or any other “it could be’s.” Sigh.)
- Much to her relief, the doctor said the tumor was ________.
- He prepared so ______(ly) that his presentation was painful to watch. (Not: tentative.)
- After asking for (previous vocab word), the student received a _____ and was released from detention.
- In exchange for safety and peace, the members of the Community seemed to have _____(ed) a lot of freedom.
- The neighbor’s fence _____(ed) on our property, so they had to move it.
- Sometimes sixth period can be ______(ing), but when certain people are absent, it can be a nice class.
“Dah Givah, 5-6.” Write the answer not the letter.
- (quote) Why was Jonas angry at Fiona in his dream?
- How does Jonas describe his dream? a) Pleasurable and confusing. b) Frightening and confusing. c) Confusing and funny. d) Sad and depressing. e) Worrying and exciting.
- (quote) What did Jonas say was the strongest feeling in his dream?
- Only males take the pills. a) True b) False
- Jonas actually enjoyed the feeling of the Stirrings. a) True b) False
- (4) Name two “firsts” that distinguish the Eights from the younger kids and explain the reasoning behind their new responsibilities/fashions.
- When the elders match spouses, which of these factors is not taken into account? a) intelligence b) disposition c) aptitude d) physical characteristics e) energy level f) interests g) All are taken into account.
- What is our main conflict so far? (Hint: Trick question!)
- The Giver is written in ____ person. a) first b) second c) third
- At least 750 words. At least 5+ paragraphs:
- Introduction: Setting. Description of scene/setting. How it was set up. Why you chose this person. Relationship to this person.
- Description of person. Show, don’t tell.
- Looks. (Details.)
- Voice and choice of words. Delivery.
- Personality. (Bitter? Enthusiastic? Happy? Lost in memories? Crabby? What?)
- Questions you asked, followed by answers and follow up.
- You may summarize their answers, but please include at least three good quotes (word for word, as close as you can get) that use the person’s actual words.
- Conclusion: Discuss what you learned, most surprising info, most interesting, change in attitude, etc.
- Come up with a creative title that sums up the interview.
- Please print it and then post it on your blog.