“Warm up, 10/26. Apostrophes.”
- The first digital music players appeared in the ____. (90)
- The _____ house has the best garden gnome. (Castillo)
- _____ idea was it to invite him? (Who)
- _____ dog looks like a buffalo. (Alexis)
- (2) The _____ volleyball team has _____ last home game today. (girl, they)
- “This is the letter A. It’s the first letter of the alphabet. So much for the initial consultation. Further advice requires $1000.” ______
- In the Middle Ages, they used to use cobwebs to help ______ bleeding.
- responsible : disreputable :: calm : ____ (Bonus: Add an ending to another word and it becomes a 2nd correct answer!)
- I cannot ____ someone who cheats. He or she will face consequences.
- Winning the lottery is not always the _____ people think it will be.
- Some people think it’s a good idea to build a giant fence to try to _____ the flow of illegal drugs and immigrants.
- On the last day of school, the screams of joy will _____ in the hallways.
- He bought his computer from a(n) ____ dealer, and when it broke the next day, they told him he was out of luck. (Not sham.)
- We must all ____ by the same rules.
- The word midwife is a ______ of the Middle English words meaning “with woman.”
- Give an example of a derivative of the word civil.
- *** _____ 15. *** _____
“Sentence Combining, 10/26.”
Combine each group of short, choppy sentences into one smooth-sounding sentence. You may add, subtract, or change words, but make sure to keep the meaning of all the parts. You will have to punctuate as appropriate. (Bonus #1: Which vocab word is appropriate for this exercise? _______. Bonus #2: Write more than one combination!)
1. a) Chuckie bounces wildly in his desk. b) He is the class clown. c) He clucks like a chicken.
2. a) His fingers make sounds. b) The sounds are scratching. c) They claw the desktop. d) The desktop is battered.
The Midwife’s Apprentice
Chapter 1 summaries.
Why do the boys bully and taunt Brat/Beetle?
Why does she put up with it? Is this common? (quote/translation)