“Husker Du, 3/7.” Period One. Test #1.
- Some people might have called him weird, but he preferred to be called a (non-)_____(ist). a) sage b) rueful c) infer d) conform e) connotation
- Even though I was nervous, I tried to act cool and ______. a) gingerly b) savvy c) infer d) nonchalant e) fathom
- cool : good :: dig : ____ a) sage b) rueful c) conform d) fathom e) bleak
- Even though their _____ are similar, the words nosy and curious have very different _____. a) connotations/denotations b) denotations/connotations.
- 90% of 40 = ______. a) 4 b) 30 c) 35 d) 36 e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/7.” Period Two. Test #19.
- You may _______ to someday be as cool as Mr. Coward. a) iconic b) pacify c) saw d) aspire e) NOTA
- Doing your homework every day before playing video games is a _______ strategy for success. a) vivid b) daunting c) pragmatic d) dilemma e) NOTA
- The llama is a quadruped with a beak for eating and fins for swimming. a) simple sentence b) fragment c) complex sentence d) compound sentence
- You would like it if you were a bird. a) simple sentence b) fragment c) complex sentence d) compound sentence
- How does Vladek’s father-in-law help him after his first close call on the street? a) He hides him. b) He gets him a fake job and a work card. c) He gets the proper travel papers for him. d) He doesn’t. e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/7.” Period Three. Test #18.
- Since Jenni ate the hot dog, she got sick. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- You must say, “Sir,” when you say, “Mr. Coward.” a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- Maybe the mall where the store was charged a high rent. a) independent b) dependent c) not a clause
- Why did Vladek’s father always try to keep him and his brothers out of the army? a) He hated the Polish army. b) He sympathized with the Nazis. c) Because of his father’s experience with the Russian army. d) He was against war in general. e) NOTA
- How many battles did Vladek fight in as a soldier? a) 1 b) 2 c) 3 d) 4 e) 0
“Husker Du, 3/7.” Period Six. Test #4.
- lazy : dogged :: flattered : _____ a) acquit b) leery c) bluff d) indignant e) subside
- A savvy person is usually more ____ than a credulous one. a) leery b) dogged c) conducive d) wistful e) bluff
- Moisture and heat help create an environment _____ to the growth of bacteria. a) indignant b) dogged c) conducive d) wistful e) gorge
- Since I studied, I ______(ed) myself quite well on the test. a) bluff b) dogged c) acquit d) implore e) gorge
- Usually the longest part of the story, where most of the action occurs. ______. a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) resolution
- The mayfly’s life is very _____. A mayfly only lives to reproduce and is alive for only 24 hours.
- After the police mishandled the fight, it ____(ed) into a riot.
- He tried to ___ his income by selling knives door to door.
- The Pills ____ the Stirrings, as well as deep feelings and emotions.
- Some teachers keep their classrooms very cold because they think it keeps the students from being too ____.
- The people of the Community think they have created a utopia, but to us it looks more like a ____.
- The amount of food coupons given to the Jews only allowed them very ______ portions, not enough to get by legally.
- The prisoners in Auschwitz were kept in ______ conditions.
“Giver, 9-10.” Write the answer. Use quotes where asked for. (10p)
- (3) Jonas’s sheet only had eight instructions. All but three of them disturbed him. Which three were the least disturbing to him? (p65)
- (quote) Why does the final rule unnerve Jonas so much?
- (quote) What happened to the previous selection for the new Receiver?
- Why are The Receiver’s doors locked? a) So nobody can find Jonas. b) To protect the Receiver. c) To make sure no one breaks in and steals his things. d) Because he does “inappropriate” things like being rude. e) All dwelling doors are locked. f) To insure privacy. g) NOTA
- What is the most conspicuous difference between The Receiver’s dwelling and Jonas’s own dwelling?
- The Receiver looks so old because he is. a) True b) False
- What memories does the Receiver hold?
- Why was Jonas so shocked at the end of chapter 10?