“Husker Du, 3/22.” First Period, Test #6.
- The adventurer’s ____(s) made for a great novel. a) sullen b) smolder c) exploit d) siege e) circumvent f) NOTA
- The school newspaper has been __ for a long while, but they hope to revive it next year. a) cease b) circumvent c) sullen d) delirious e) defunct
- This a fragment? a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- The strange life of the llama. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
“Husker Du, 3/21.” Period Two, Test #1.
- As used in The Outsiders, the word hood is short for _____. a) hoodie b) neighborhood c) hoodlum d) livelihood e) cheese
- lb. : pound :: Soc : _______ a) society b) sock c) greaser d) social e) punch
- you: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
- she: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
- “Delinquent” : ________ :: The Outsiders : ________ a) 1st person/3rd person b) 3rd person/1st person. c) both 1st person. d) Both 3rd person. e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/22.” Period Three, Test #13.
- When the author says on p92 that the cook had “words pouring forth from her mouth with none to listen,” what does she mean? a) The cook is crazy. b) Nobody listens to the cook. c) Everything the cook says is a lie. d) The cook is talking to herself. e) NOTA
- What prompted Alyce’s first cry? a) When she couldn’t find Edward. b) When the cook said they looked like twins. c) When Edward first hugged her. d) When the carpenter’s assistant said Edward might have been eaten by a goat. e) NOTA
- When Alyce fails to deliver Emma Blunt’s baby and runs away from the village. a) rising action b) inciting incident c) theme d) exposition e) metaphor
- Alyce learning to read. a) rising action b) inciting incident c) falling action d) exposition e) resolution
- What does the dedication mean? (“For Philip and Dinah, Alyce’s midwives.”) a) These people helped deliver Alyce’s kids. b) These people helped deliver Alyce as a baby. c) These people are actual midwives. d) These people helped the author create the character of Alyce. e) NOTA
“Husker Du, 3/22.” Period Six, Test #14.
- Which of these things could the phrase “a sound of thunder” reasonably represent? a) The sound of the T-Rex approaching. b) The effects of their actions on the future. c) The sound of the guns. d) All of the above. e) NOTA
- The real theme of “ASoT” is probably… a) don’t mess with time. b) don’t try to change the past. c) small actions can lead to huge consequences. d) don’t kill butterflies. e) NOTA
- Is the author trying to persuade, entertain, inform, or sell? a) Currency b) Relevance c) Authority d) Accuracy e) Purpose
- The part of the story where the midwife opens her door to let Alyce and the cat in. a) climax b) rising action c) falling action d) resolution e) exposition
- “Too much ale and too few wits” = a _______. a) surfeit b) sullen c) contented d) remedy e) lout f) NOTA
“The Giver, 3/22.”
- What makes Jonas want to give up, lie down, and sleep? a) It starts raining. b) He encounters hills he can’t pedal up. c) They are attacked by a bear. d) Hunger. e) NOTA
- Which of these things did not happen in chapter 23? a) It began snowing. b) Jonas fell asleep. c) Jonas found a sled. d) He gave Gabriel a small memory of warmth. e) They all happened.
- The part where Jonas lies to his parents and stops taking his pills. a) exposition b) rising action c) inciting incident d) climax e) resolution
- The part where Jonas sees the apple change. a) exposition b) rising action c) inciting incident d) climax e) resolution
- The part where Jonas and The Giver make the plan. a) exposition b) rising action c) inciting incident d) climax e) resolution
- Jonas and Gabe sliding down the hill on the sled would be the _______ of the story. a) exposition b) rising action c) climax d) falling action (haha) e) resolution
- In her speech, Lois Lowry says that the ending of the book is all about hope. a) True b) False
- One of the theories she mentioned in her speech was that Jonas and Gabe ended up back at the community again. a) True b) False
The Giver. What is up with that ending?
Giver Movie. When we are finished with the movie: Pick one and post to your blog. 500 + words.
- “Three Reasons Why The Giver Book/Movie is Better Than the Movie/Book.”
- “Despite the Changes, The Giver Movie Does a Good Job Respecting the Book.”