Here are the four days the server was down. See you in January!
FRIDAY! 12/18/15. Have a great vacation!
Paperwork for Test #16:
Maus Log #2: ____/10 Maus Log #3: ____/8
Warm Ups: ____/12 ____/12 ____/12
Other Extra Credit: Period 3 gets +3 for vocabulary relay.
- Find the English word that can be formed using all these letters: PNLLEEEESSSSS. (Not a trick. You know this one!)
- How far can you walk into the woods?
- How many letters are there in the correct answer to this question? (hahahahahahaha)
- Wacky Wordies:
- What a pair we are: Our sum is 100, but our product tells you more.
For it is our sum times 24. What are the numbers (Alert: math.)
- The more you take away the bigger it gets; the more you add, the smaller it becomes. What is it?
Thursday, 12/17/15. Tomorrow’s “Test”: V2?!
“Vocabulary + Warm Up, 12/18.”
- _____ (NOT diminutive!)
- Abby is a ______ form of Abigail.
- George Washington and Abraham Lincoln are ______ figures in American history.
- She faced a _____ about turning in her friend for cheating.
- The villagers sacrificed a *_______* to try to _______ their angry god. (* = Last week’s vocab word.)
- The amount of work required in an Honors class can be quite _____.
- The dream was so ______ that I fell out of bed trying to fly.
- inspiring : daunting :: stable : ______
- skinflint : benevolent :: ______ : easy
“Maus Log 3 – 12/17.” (9p – Chapter 2)
- Vladek and Anja lived in what country?
- How does Anja get one of their tenants in trouble?
- What was Artie’s nickname as a baby?
- What happens to Anja after the birth of Richieu?
- What is the first foreshadowing Vladek gets of the troubles that are coming?
- What does the story about the pillow tell us about Vladek’s father?
- (2) Why do Anja and Richieu have to move back to Sosnowiec? Where does Vladek go?
- Maus is told in ____ person. a) 1st b) 2nd c) 3rd d) 4th
Checking Vocabulary Show-Me-You-Knows.
“Vocabulary Warm Up, 12/16.”
1. _____ 2. What’s the missing flavor? ______ 3. Calvin is being ______ 4. _____
5. You may _________ to someday be as cool as Mr. Coward.
6. Doing your homework every day, before playing video games, is a _______ strategy for success.
7. Mr. Scrooge (“Bah, humbug!”) is an example of a(n) __________.
8. It was hard to believe that such a huge voice emanated from such a _______ girl.
9. The swastika is a(n) ________symbol of evil.
10. The students weren’t shocked by the kid’s outburst. They always thought he was touchy and _______.
11. Reading Shakespeare for the first time can be rather ______.
12. Give an example of a saw. (Nothing about apples!)
Maus Log 2 – 12/16. (10p)
- (2) What things does Artie say have “taken their toll” on his father?
- What physical evidence does Vladek still show from the concentration camps?
- Why is Chapter One called “The Sheik”?
- On p12, the circular panel marks the beginning of Vladek’s story. Where do we first interrupt that story, and come back to the present for a moment? (page and panel)
- True or False? Vladek married Anja for her money.
- True or False? Vladek married Anja for her looks.
- Why does Vladek go through Anja’s closet?
- Why does Anja try to break the engagement?
- What promise to his father does Artie break?
Checking vocab definitions.
“Vocabulary Warm Up, 12/15.”
(**Lepidoptera = moths and butterflies. Moths like to live in places that are dark and not opened very often, like old closets.)
1. _______ 2. _______(Bonus: Use another word you have learned recently for +1.) 3. _______
4. _______ 5. _______ 6. _______ 7. What is she accusing him of being? _______
8. forgettable : iconic :: emotional : ________
9. She has high ______(ations). She wants to rule the world.
10. huge : diminutive :: inspiring : ______
11. The root of this word means “life.” _____
12. They tried to _______ the angry mob by telling them their concerns would be addressed.
- (3) According to Scott McCloud, what are the three types of icons?
- (3) Draw an example of each.
- In this excerpt from Understanding Comics, when he says “more abstract,” he means _______ realistic looking. a) more b) less
- According to McCloud, the more abstract (cartoony) the face is, the ______ people it could describe. a) more b) fewer
“Maus Log I, 12/15.”
a) Read the first two pages:
- Translate his father’s last sentence into a normal English sentence.
- What does he mean?
b) Why do you think the drawings so simple and not more realistic? Why do you think he used cats and mice instead of people to tell the story?
c) What is your first impression of Vladek?
Aloud. Chapter One. Drama style with parts.
- Art(ie) – author and artist. (Narrator for the “present.”)
- Artie’s wife, Francoise.
- Artie’s father Vladek. (Narrator for the past.)
- His mother Anja (Anna) — now dead–Vladek’s true love.
- His stepmother Mala — now married to Vladek
- Lucia Greenberg
- Fill ins for minor characters: 1 male, 1 female. (Vladek’s cousin (f), Vladek’s father and mother-in-law.)