Warm Up. Copy 1-4, including the underlining. (14p) ** = vocabulary. * = spelling. For spelling, choose from: nervous, attach, allergy, appetite, embarrass, soothe, commercial, parallel, opponent.
Correct Transitions 1-5. for example, finally, but, so, still, beyond, to the left, inside
- * flagpole : perpendicular :: train tracks : _______
- * satisfy : disappoint :: separate : _______
- * mom : soothe :: _______ : embarrass
- * ill-suited : appropriate :: confident : _______(2)
- ** ______
- **Art Speigelman didn't want to show his father as a racist___________ of a Jew, but he wanted to show him honestly.
- **Some people see boxing as legally ___________(ed) violence.
- **(2) It was a ________ problem, with many _______(s) to consider...
- **...so I had to look at all my options before deciding how to _______ the situation. (not conduct)
- **Please ________ yourself properly in the library.
Practice. Combine each group of sentences with appropriate transition words/phrases.
- I would like to see you tomorrow, _______ let’s have lunch together.
- My sister loves to eat, ________ I don’t care much about food.
- When you begin an exercise program, you must be careful not to overdo it.
- My father, ________, hurt his back by exercising too hard without warming up first.
- She had looked everywhere for a job; _____, she was called for an interview.
If not already completed, finish Maus Log.
- I ate lunch yesterday. It was cheap. It was good.
- You must report it. You are in a car accident. There is no damage.
- What are the sketches at the top of page 11 all about?
- What is Artie's final decision? (You had better get THIS one correct at least.)
- Why did Vladek ask Artie and Francoise to come stay with him?
- (quote) What was one of the things Artie used to think a lot or fantasize about as a kid?
- (quote) What does Artie mean when he says he had a "sibling rivalry with a snapshot"?
- (quote) Why does Artie say it's so hard to tell Vladek's story in comic form?
- Give one example from Book II of Vladek's skinflint behavior.
- What do all the people close to Vladek (current family and friends) have in common?
- (2) What do you think of Mala's decision? Explain your reason(s).
If/when finished... Indefinite Pronouns handout.
1. Read aloud/ Go over top half p67.
2. Collaborators do 1-12 on p67.
3. Correct w/vomunteers.
4. Collaborators do Part A on p68.
5. Correct w/volunteers.
6. Collaborators do part B on p68.
7. Correct w/volunteers.
Time? Vladek aloud.