Warm Up. Write the word. You might use words more than once.
- The man finally ______(ed) his intense thirst with a drink from the fountain.
- The smell of brownies ______ the house and made me very hungry.
- Because she had been ill for so long, she was very ________ and unmotivated. (Not frazzled.)
- Whenever she was down about something, she always seemed to find ________ in her music.
- Having four kids to watch out for, my mom was always ________(ed) by the end of the day.
Clauses and Sentences. Answer with: Simple (one I), Compound (I + I), or Complex (I + D or D + I)
- Joe waited for the llama to arrive, but it was late.
- The llama was late because it missed the bus.
- Joe and the llama rode a tandem bike to the pizza place.
- While Joe likes pizza, the llama prefers sushi.
- They agreed to compromise, and they ate sushi pizza.
- Neither Joe nor the llama enjoyed it very much.
- Bonus: Name all 7 FANBOYS without looking. (7/7 = +2, 6/7 = +1)
- Bonus: Which type of sentence is usually preferred in good writing, compound or complex? Why do you think?
Giver Quiz. Write the answer. (5p)
- What makes Jonas feel "desperately lonely"?
- The Giver tells Jonas that the memories of pain and suffering give them _____.
- What memory was the strongest when the Elders sought the Giver's advice about increasing the birthrate?
- How do they usually decide which identical
twin to release? a) The Birthmother decides. b) There's a
number system. c) Intelligence tests. d) Raffle King
- What does the boy in the war memory want?
- Bonus: What war did the Giver show Jonas?