Wednesday, 10/1/14 - Checking Vocabulary
Warm Up. In Notebook. Do not copy. (12)
a) Write CS, F, or RO for each word group.
b) If the group is a FRO, rewrite it as a complete sentence.
Academic Words 2-C
- There are shells all over the beach, so let's collect some!
- The chuck wagon, a rolling kitchen on wheels.
- The word chuck means "food" or "grub," and that is what they served.
- Laughing at the comedian's act.
- The wagon was loaded with food it was pulled by two teams of horses.
- The cook was one of the most important persons on the trail, and he was highly paid.
- Looking after saddles and bridles was also one of the cook's jobs.
- Into the hole fell he.
- Chief Wiggum, chief cop of Springfield, ate a doughnut.
Do the last 7 sentences. You should have only 7 words left. Sentences of your own due tomorrow for any missed.
Go over Vocabulary Homework.
- 14. After what happened at the high school, a special meeting of the school board was _________(ed)
- 15. When I first met him, my ________ impression was that he was a bit sloppy.
- 16. How
much money you spend should be __________(ed) by how much money you
earn, but credit cards allow people to live beyond their means.
- 17. Many people's weddings get so complicated, they need people to ________ all the tasks that need to get done on time.
- 18. The police didn't have ________ evidence to charge him with the crime, so they had to let him go.
- 19.The teacher said I was wasting my _____ talent for writing by playing videogames all day.
- 20. He lost the debate, because most of his arguments were (in)______.
Vocabulary Pretest #6 - Write the word. Hmmm.
grimace, circumvent, reminisce, juvenile, siege, defunct, delirious, imperial, premonition, exploit
- At the family reunion, we sat around _______(ing) about the last reunion.
- Please stop being so ________ about not getting your way. Quit stamping your feet!
- The thief _______(ed) the alarm system, and was able to steal the jewels.
- One of Tom Sawyer's most famous __________(s) is the fence-painting scheme.
- "I get ______ whenever you're near. I lose all self-control baby, just can't steer."
- It is sometimes fun to _________ a little brother or sister's lack of savvy.
- The school newspaper has been __ for a long while, but they hope to revive it next year.
- Rich, handsome, and royal, Richard Cory was described as "______(ly) slim."
- Romeo ______(ed) as he swallowed the bitter poison.
- reminisce : predict :: obey : ________
- globally : locally :: mature : ________
- flashback : reveals :: __________ : foreshadows
- situation : context :: attack : ________