Thursday, 10/10/13 - Due: SNT II
Spelling - Study the ones you missed Tuesday. SSI: 5x each.
Vocabulary - Just like the homework and the pretest.
Commas - Study the Pink Sheet p193.
Outsiders - Chapter 6
Husker Du - FROs and CS/CV and voibs. Check the warm up today.
"Warm Up, 10/10/13." Copy 1-5; for the rest write the answer. * = spelling. ** = vocabulary.
- * coupon : savings ::
marathon : ______
- * extraordinary : routine :: specific :
- * city : map :: person :
- * reservoir : lake :: _______ : award
- ** painful :
excruciating :: obvious : _______
- ** typewriters :
obsolete :: 8th graders : ________ (3 acceptable answers)
- The chuck wagon, a rolling kitchen on wheels. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- Chief Wiggum, the doughnut-eater and chief cop. a) Fragment (F) b) Run-On (RO) c) Complete Sentence (CS)
- The boyish-looking lumberjack ate a glazed doughnut and eggs for
breakfast. a) CS b) CV c) both d) neither
- Exactly how does the brain work? Verb Phrase?
a) how does b) does work c) how does work d) how work e) NOTA
Commas Pretest. One
at a time. 11/11 = Exempt.
Study p193 for tomorrow's test.
- During the Civil War, in America, Clara Barton aided in medical care for the Union. a) correctly punctuated b) incorrectly punctuated
- After studying clowning in London, Edith became head of a clown training school in Akron, Ohio. a)
correctly punctuated b) incorrectly punctuated
- Elizabeth Kenny devised new more effective methods of treating Evil Clown Syndrome. a) Kenny, b) Kenny, new c) new, effective,
d) new, more, effective e) NOTA
- A lot of cake was served, during Cindy's wedding. a) correctly punctuated b) incorrectly punctuated
- Captain Queso the chief of police, directed traffic during the
president's visit. a) correctly punctuated b)
- With Shmarty's help dear readers the American Smartness Association was formed. a) help, b) readers, c) help, readers, d) Shmarty's, readers, e ) NOTA
- Training was based on apprenticeship and students learned from older
students. a) apprenticeship, b) apprenticeship, and, c) and, d) Ok as is.
- Kenny an Australian nurse aroused controversy due to her treatment
methods. a) Kenny, nurse, b) Kenny, c) nurse, d) nurse, controversy,
- Florence Nightingale was a nurse hospital reformer and humanitarian.
a) Nightingale, b) nurse, hospital, reformer, c) reformer, d) hospital, e)
- Early nursing education however had little or no
classroom preparation. This sentence contains an appositive. a) True b)
- Florence Nightingale received her nursing training in
Egypt and Germany. a ) correctly punctuated b) incorrectly
Finish/Correct Chapter 5 Quiz (if not already finished).