||Use this side to practice writing 5x each correctly the ones you missed
on Tuesday's pretest. .
Vocabulary: Homework: 1) Look up the words below, and write the
definition and part-of-speech (n, v, adj) for each one in your notebook.
2) Fill in the blanks. 3) For extra credit, you may write a sentence
of your own for each word. (Due Wednesday.) connotation,
denotation, infer, bleak, nonchalant, gingerly, rueful, savvy, conform,
fathom (v), sage (2, but not the herb!)
1. Even though I was nervous, I tried to act cool and _____________.
2. I handled the delicate vase very ____________.
3. Even though he may not be "book-smart" he has a lot of ___________ about the world.
4. Not every member of a group _______________(s) exactly to our image of that group.
5. The landscape of the moon is lifeless and very ________.
6. My grandfather was a ________ gave me some very _________ advice. (same word)
7. "I shouldn’t have done that," he said with a _______ sigh.
8. The detective tried to _________who the criminal was from the clues he left behind.
9. Though their a) connotations/denotations are similar, the words nosy and curious have very different b) connotations/denotations. (Circle the correct choice.)
10. Nobody could __________ why Two-Bit liked school even though he was flunking out. It just didn't make sense.