Thursday, 9/4/14 - Welcome Guest Teacher.
"Warm Up - 9/4/14." Copy. * = spelling word ** = vocabulary word.
Go over vocabulary homework.
- soldier : obedient :: artist : *_________
- story : narrative :: 2nd draft : *__________
- portable : movable :: credible : *_________
- hopeful : bleak :: proud : **________
- rules : requirements :: happiness : **________
- (2) cool : good :: dig : **_______
"Vocabulary Pretest #1 - 9/4/14." You will use one word twice and
one not at all. 12/12 means you get to skip the vocabulary portion of
Do not copy; write the word in your notebook.
bliss, infer, bleak, nonchalant, gingerly, rueful, savvy, conform, fathom, sage, connotation, denotation
Trade and grade.
- My friend has a lot of basketball __________. He just seems to have a natural feel for the game.
- "I touched the bruise on my cheek ____________."
- The coach accused me of being too __________ at practice. He thought I should take the game more seriously.
liked fights, blondes, and for some (un)___________(able) reason,
school." Nobody could understand why school was on that list.
- After the accident, her outlook on life became very_________. She seemed to have no hope any more.
- "I wish I had done my homework," I thought__________(ly).
- For Esteban, the word dropout had the ________ of a hoodlum who breaks windows and such.
- "Ignorance is ____," they say. What you don't know can't make you unhappy.
- I was able to ________ the meaning of the word from the way it was used in the sentence.
- A person who doesn't like to ____________ to the group is often called an outsider.
- Jimmy nodded his head _______(ly), and said, "It would have been wiser to have someone pick you up."
- "It's just because you're the baby--I mean he loves you a lot. (Do you) ______?"
The vocabulary portion of the test on Friday will be pretty much copied and pasted from this pretest and the ** warm ups. So...
Time? The Outsiders!