Tomorrow's Test: AWs, Vocabulary, Some Verbs, Husker Du, Outsiders
"Warm Up, 9/18/14." (11p) Do not copy. Write the word in your notebook. Use your word lists. Group effort.
* = Academic Word ** = Vocabulary
- * The Boy Scouts teach you to be _______(ful) and prepared to use whatever you have available..
- * He _____(ed) the incident very differently than she did even though they both saw the same thing.
- * His expensive car was also expensive to _____. Every part cost a fortune to repair or replace.
- * The house was ______(ed) by fire before the firemen arrived.
- *(4) The
council studied the ______ _______ of the ______ for the new
shopping center to see if the nearby school would be ______(ed). (Don't
use any twice in this sentence. Yes, the order matters.)
- ** lazy : dogged :: flattered : _______
- ** Since I studied, I __________(ed) myself quite well on the test.
- ** fear : panic :: ask : ________
- +1 Bonus Question: The noun form of acquire is ____. (+1 more if you actually spell the word correctly.)
"Verb! That's What's Happenin'!" and "The Tale of Mr. Morton"
(copy) A verb is a word that shows action, being, or state of being.
Examples: run, jump, be (am, is, are, was, were)
The main verb in a sentence is called the predicate.
"Verb Practice I - 9/18/14." List the verbs in each sentence.
- Matt is a young musician who practices all the time.
- "I am wet," she cried.
- LouDog would be a good choice for ASB president.
- Millie felt scared as she peeked around the corner.
- "Too many things could happen when you are drunk."
Outsiders. Finish ch2.
"Open Mouth Quiz -Ch2."
Write the answer in your notebook. Not just the letter.
- When Cherry says that she "kind of admires" Dally, this is ironic. a) True b) False
was almost four months ago..." This begins an example of... a)
foreshadowing b) flashback c) interruption d)
introduction e) character analysis f) irony
- "Not over his dead body..." This
is an example of... a) foreshadowing b) flashback c)
interruption d) introduction e) character analysis
- "Things are rough all over." Who said? a) Cherry b) Two-Bit c) Dally d) Pony e) Soda
are rough all over." What does she/he mean? a) The greasers
are looked down on by everyone. b) Socs get all the breaks.
c) Life sucks. d) Socs have problems too. e) People like
Dally are jerks. f) NOTA
- "I know better now." Who said? a) Cherry b) Soda c) Pony d) Dally e) Johnny f) NOTA
- "I know better now." This is an
example of... a) foreshadowing b) flashback c)
interruption d) introduction e) character analysis f)
- When we assume that all members of a
group are the same, we are using a ________ to judge people. a)
character analysis b) racism c) stereotype d)
characterization e) irony f) NOTA