Wednesday, 9/24/14 - Checking Vocabulary Homework.
"Warm Up, 9/24/14." Do Not Copy! (7p) * = spelling word ** = vocabulary word
Go over Test #4.
- * "book writing" = _______
- * "sound write" = _______
- * "tiny sound" = _______
- * author : book : musician : _______
- ** buy : sell :: boycott : _______
- ** symphony : cacophony :: exhaustion : _______
- ** legitimate : illicit :: combined : ________
- Bonus: ** A spy must act with great ______(ion). He can't go around telling everyone what he knows.
Quiz on Voib Phrases! Use your pink sheet.
Write the ANSWER. (10p)
- On the pink sheet,
you were underlining the... a) helping verb b) linking verb
c) main verb d) b and c e) a and c
- ...which is also
known as... a) the subject b) the complete predicate c) the
simple predicate d) Mr. Morton e) Pearl f) verb
tense g) NOTA
- The most common helping verbs are forms of the word...
- Helping verbs help link the subject to the predicate. a) True b) False
- Helping verbs help the main verb express action or show time. a) True b) False
- He was screaming. The word was is being used as a helping verb. a) True b) False
- I should have bought a souvenir cheese keychain. Verb Phrase?
- We might go to the cheese factory tomorrow. Verb Phrase?
- p11-Part B#2:________
- p11-Part B#9: _______
Go over Vocabulary Homework.
"Vocabulary Pretest 4, 9/24/14." Write the word. You will use words more than once. You might not use them all.
discreet, discrete, vain, elicit, illicit, hysterical, patronize, stamina, mimic
- Every time Dr. Pavlov rang a bell, he _____(ed) a response from the dog, who thought he was going to be fed.
- The comedian ____(ed) the famous politician's mannerisms.
- Mr. Schalde cruised the quad, on the lookout for any ______ activity. (Not hysterical.)
- non chalant : hysterical :: gossipy : _____
- "You're so ________. You probably think this song is about you."
- It was very (in)_______ to cheat on a test, and then brag about it.
- S. E. Hinton says that she didn't have the ________ to be a teacher. The kids' problems wore her out.
- Life is made up of thousands of ________ decisions every day, but some are more important than others.
- nonchalant : hysterical :: humble : _________
- Please stop _________(ing) me. I am not 5 years old any more.
- If you _________ Applebee's this weekend, it benefits the local volleyball team.
- In his pe class, Mr. Ottrando likes to emphasize building up your ________.