Tomorrow's Test: Spelling, Roots, Vocabulary, Verbs, maybe (Outsiders).
Vocabulary Pretest for Periods 1 and 3:
"Vocabulary Pretest 4, 9/25/14." Write the word. You will use words more than once. You might not use them all.
discreet, discrete, vain, elicit, illicit, hysterical, patronize, stamina, mimic
- Every time Dr. Pavlov rang a bell, he _____(ed) a response from the dog, who thought he was going to be fed.
- The comedian ____(ed) the famous politician's mannerisms.
- Mr. Schalde cruised the quad, on the lookout for any ______ activity. (Not hysterical.)
- non chalant : hysterical :: gossipy : _____
- "You're so ________. You probably think this song is about you."
- It was very (in)_______ to cheat on a test, and then brag about it.
- S. E. Hinton says that she didn't have the ________ to be a teacher. The kids' problems wore her out.
- Life is made up of thousands of ________ decisions every day, but some are more important than others.
- nonchalant : hysterical :: humble : _________
- Please stop _________(ing) me. I am not 5 years old any more.
- If you _________ Applebee's this weekend, it benefits the local volleyball team.
- In his pe class, Mr. Ottrando likes to emphasize building up your ________.
P1: "I think the answer to #1 is ________ because ________."
P2: a) Asks a question. b) Agrees. c) Disagrees: "I think it's _______ because ________."
Both partners write the agreed-upon answer and the reason.
Switch for #2. And etc.
Warm Up - 9/25/14. Do Not Copy. * = spelling. ** = vocabulary.
- * "distant sound" =
- * "dance writing" =
- ** T-shirts with _______ messages are not allowed at school.
- ** Mr. Coward's last-minute assignment ________(ed) a groan from the students.
- I should have bought a souvenir cheese keychain. What is (are) the Helping Verb(s)?
- Exactly how does the brain work? What is the Verb Phrase?
- The climb up Cheese Mountain lasted two hours. a) noun b) verb c) adjective
- "He __ hunting our football to practice a few kicks." a) had been b) been c) were d) had e) can f) something else?
- Bonus: The method of learning to read that mainly uses the sounds of the letters and combinations is called ________
Go over Test #4.