Vocabulary Homework: ____/20
Warm Up: ___/5 Vocab Practice: 8-20___/10 8-21:____/10 8-23:___/10 Adjectives:___/6
Other Extra Credit:
a) bliss b) infer c)
bleak d) nonchalant e) gingerly f) rueful g)
savvy h) conform i) sage j) connotation
Spell words by connecting adjoining letters. Words must be at least 3
letters long. Each letter must touch the one before it. No proper
nouns, abbreviations, or foreign words. You can only use a letter once
in the same word. 10 words = +1, 20 words = +2, etc. Use any blank area
on your test sheet for your word list. Be sure to number your
- Even though he may not be "book-smart" he has a lot of _____
about the world.
- Some people might have called him weird, but he preferred to be
called a (non-)_____(ist).
outlook on life was very _____ after the accident.
- "I shouldn't have done that," he said with a ___ sigh.
- "It's just because you're the baby--I mean he loves you a
lot. Do you ____?" (not fathom)
- From what Ponyboy says, we can ____ that he and his oldest brother Darry do not get along very well.
Esteban, the word dropout had the ____of a delinquent who breaks windows and graffitis and such.
- Even though I was nervous, I tried to act cool and ______.
- I was able to _____ the meaning of the word from the way it was
used in the sentence.
- hopeful : bleak :: proud : _____
- A French chef in New York chisels ice sculptures. a) adjective b) not an adjective
- Machine parts are used to form mechanical structures. a) adjective b) not an adjective
- She is a pretty savvy poker player. a) adjective b) not an adjective
- She has a lot of basketball savvy. a) adjective b) not an adjective
- The expression "Mind your own business" is a motto. a) True b) False
- The expression "Ignorance is bliss" is a motto. a) True b)False
- In the poem "Delinquent," who's (the) delinquent? a)
Julie's parents b) Julie c) society d) All of the
above. e) NOTA
- What's the message of the poem "Motto"? a) YOLO b)
Enjoy the good things while you can. c) Treat others how you want
to be treated. d) "Dig it!" e) NOTA
- As used in The Outsiders, the word hood is short for _____. a) hoodie b) neighborhood c) hoodlum d) livelihood e) cheese f) NOTA
- lb. : pound :: Soc : _______ a) society b) sock c) greaser d) social e) punch f) NOTA
- What is it about our narrator that drives his brother Darry crazy? a)
He's always getting in trouble. b) He doesn't use his head.. c) His
grades are bad. d) All of the above. e) He takes too many risks. f) NOTA
- "Delinquent" has a _____ narrator. a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
- The Outsiders has a _____ narrator. a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
- ...doesn’t understand anything that isn’t “plain, hard fact”? a) Ponyboy b) Sodapop c) Darry d) The Socs e) NOTA
- “understands everybody”? a) Ponyboy b) Sodapop c) Darry d) The Socs e) NOTA