KBARR: ___/35 Vocabulary Homework: ___/20
NVA: ___/9 ___/9 ___/9 Vocab Practices: ___/13 ___/12 ___/12
Other Extra Credit:
a) dogged b) indignant c) conducive d) wistful
e) implore f) subside g) acquit h) leery i)
gorge j) bluff
- fear : panic :: ask : _____
- I was _____ when Dad blamed me for breaking the lamp instead of my sister.
- Pony was _____ when he thought of what life was like when his parents were alive.
- inventive : resourceful :: suspicious : ______
- I waited until Mom’s anger ___(ed), and then asked for forgiveness.
- I tried to ______ my way out of trouble, but Mom wasn't buying my excuses.
- "Johnny and I _____(ed) ourselves on barbecue sandwiches and banana splits."
- A savvy person is usually ______ of a deal that looks too good to be true.
- Moisture and heat help create an environment _____ to the growth of bacteria
NVA. For a brief moment, Jimmy stupidly thought he could fly like a graceful bird across the blue sky.
- moment. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- stupidly. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- fly. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
- brief. a) noun b) verb c) adjective d) NOTA
SAWs. a) controversy b) justify c) perspective d) bias e) debate
- If you want me to accept your answer, you had better be able to ____ it with evidence.
- In Ponyboy’s hometown of Tulsa, Oklahoma, there is a ____ against greasers.
- The Outsiders is told from Ponyboy's _____.
- we a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- "...sometimes seemed "hardly human..." a) Johnny b) Darry c) Steve d) Two-Bit e) Dally
Outsiders. Open book.
- Pony says that he and Johnny get along so well because they can really talk to each other. a) True b) False
don't forget that some of us watch the sunset too." Who's talking to
whom? a) Pony to Johnny b) Pony to the Socs c) Johnny
to Cherry d) Cherry to Pony e) Pony to Cherry
don't forget that some of us watch the sunset too." What is
he/she talking about? a) Why the Socs are the way they are -
aloof. b) How pretty the sunset is. c) How greasers and
Socs aren't all that different. d) How the greasers feel too
much. e) All of the above. f) NOTA
- Why is Darry really so upset
with Pony for getting home so late? a) Pony could get jumped
again. b) Darry could get arrested. c) They don't have the
money to get Pony out of jail. d) The family might be split
up. e) Because of the cops' attitude about greasers. f) NOTA
does Johnny say that he "almost likes it better when the old man is
hitting me"? a) "It just ain't the same." b)
..."sometimes we get along okay..." c) "At least then I know he
knows who I am." d) "At least you got Soda." e) NOTA
- "I was wrong." (p52) a) flashback b) dream sequence c) irony d) foreshadowing e) NOTA
- Why do we not see Johnny stab Bob the Soc? a) Pony is a 3rd
person narrator and didn't see it. b) S.E. Hinton wanted to make
it more dramatic. c) It's sadder that way. d) Pony is a 1st
person narrator and didn't see it. e) The book company wouldn't
let them show that in 1967. f) NOTA
- The Socs' reaction when Johnny stabbed Bob illustrates Pony's
distinction between ___ and ___. a) packs and social
clubs b) a social club and the greasers c) a
pack and a gang d) brothers and gangs e) NOTA
- This reaction shows that the Socs are really a... a) family b) social club c) gang d) team e) pack f) NOTA
- The early death of Hank Williams was a great loss to the music world. a) TRUE b) False
Plot. Use your notes.
- The part of the story where Johnny stabbed Bob would be
considered the ________ of the story. a) exposition b)
inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e)
- The part of the story where the author explains who the
characters are and what their situation is. a) plot
b) conflict c) exposition d) inciting incident e)
- Usually the longest part of the story, where most of the action
occurs. ______. a) exposition b) inciting incident c)
rising action d) climax e) resolution