Vocabulary Homework: ____/20
Vocab Practices: 10/3: ____/12 10/4: ____/13
Other Extra Credit:
adversary b) aplomb c) banish d) grueling e)
perceive f) disdain g) dispel h)
engross i) diminish j) exhilarate
- She speaks French and German with equal
- It was a(n) _____ roller coaster ride we exited with smiles on
- We sat there, _____(ed) in his fascinating shipwreck tale.
- His feeling of accomplishment was ______(ed) when he found out that EVERYONE received an A on the test.
- One of the themes of The Outsiders is that what you ______ is not necessarily what the reality is.
- As the snowfall ______(ed), we were finally able to see the road.
political _________(s) tried to prevent him from winning the
- Which word best captures the Soc's attitude toward the greasers? ____________
- confused : savvy :: bored : ______(ed)
SAWs. a) duration b) adopt c) ensure d) tension e) consent
- In the old days, a woman’s father would have to give his ____ before she could get married.
- During the rising action, the ____ builds until it breaks at the climax of the story.
- Please be quiet for the _____ of the film. You may talk at the end.
- It would be wise to ______ the same good habits your scholarly friend has.
There are shells all over the beach, let's collect some! a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete
- Laughing at the comedian's act. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- Jack fell down and broke his crown and Jill came tumbling after. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
- The upstairs library is a great place for quiet study.
Adjectives? a) upstairs b) great, quiet c)
upstairs, great, quiet d) upstairs, great e) NOTA
- it: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
- What makes Pony, for the first time, think of Dally as his buddy? (p124) a)
When Dally saved Johnny. b) When Dally helped them get away. c) When
Dally said he was glad he didn't accidentally kill Pony putting out the
flames. d) When Dally wants revenge for what the Socs did to Johnny.
e) When Dally yells at him as he's being taken into the emergency room.
- On p126, we get an example of irony from Two-Bit. What is
it? a) When he says that Darry will kill him if Pony's really
sick. b) When he pretends he doesn't know what Pony is talking
about. c) When he calls Pony chicken. d) When he says that
Darry's stricter with Pony than his parents were. e) When he says
Darry could be a Soc.
- On p126-127, we get an example of what seems to be
foreshadowing. What is it? a) When Two-Bit says that Darry will
kill him if Pony's really sick. b) When Two-Bit says Darry could be a
Soc. c) When Pony says he has a helpless feeling. d) When Two-Bit
calls Pony chicken. e) When Pony says he'll be well by tonight.
- What is Pony's main motivation for wanting to be in the
rumble? a) Revenge for Johnny. b) He likes to fight. c) To
prove himeself to Darry. d) Loyalty to the gang. e) All of
the above. f) NOTA
- Cherry tells Pony why she liked Bob (p129), and he realizes that
Bob was a lot like...a) Darry b) Johnny c) Pony d)
Soda e) Dally f) Steve
- Pony goes off on Cherry (p129) because he thinks that
she is _______(ing) him by helping the greasers before the
rumble. a) mimic b) illicit c) discreet d)
hysterical e) patronize f) exploit
- Why does Pony suddenly bring up the sunset when he is talking to
Cherry? (p129) What is he trying to say? a) "I
understand your problems now." b) He's trying to change the subject,
because Johnny's condition is too sad to talk about. c) "Can I come
over to your house to watch the sunset?" d) He's trying to make
her feel guilty. e) NOTA
- What makes Tim Shepard's gang and
the Brumly boys different from Pony and his gang? (p138) a) The
Shepard and Brumly gangs are not very well organized. b) The Shepard
and Brumly gangs are a lot older. c) The Shepard and Brumly gangs were
going to be hoods all their lives. d) Pony and his gang used knives and
other weapons. e) NOTA
- How did Dally get out of the
hospital? a) Snuck out. b) Bribed a nurse to let him out. c) The doctor
said he was well enough to leave. d) "Talked" the nurse into it. e) NOTA
- This was foreshadowed when...
a) Dally told Pony and Two-Bit that he was "gonna be at that rumble no
matter what." b) Two-Bit told Pony he thought Dally would find a
way to be there. c) When Pony said that he had a feeling.
d) When Dally asked for Two-Bit's knife. e) It wasn't
- What lie does Dally tell the police
officer as his excuse for speeding? (p146) a) He was late for
work. b) He had to visit Johnny in the hospital. c) Pony
was hurt and needed medical help. d) His car was breaking down,
and he had to get it to a gas station quickly. e) He was being
chased. f) NOTA
- As Dally drives to the hospital he
says, "...you get tough like me and you don't get hurt. You look out
for yourself and nothin' can touch you..." (p147) This is ironic
because... a) Dally isn't that tough. b) Dally tried to
harden himself, but something touched him anyway. c) Johnny was
tough, but got hurt anyway. d) It isn't ironic at all.