Test #8. Name:
Apost.:___/12 (6 + 6) KBAR: ___/15
Vocabulary H/w: ___/20 Vocabulary Practices: ___/13 ___/14
Other Extra Credit:
a) diligent b) compelling c)
convene d) turmoil e) heedless f) cordial g)
diffident h) abundant i) dire j) grovel
- His ____ facade hid a very dangerous person.
- The lawyer's argument was so _____ the jury acquitted
- He practiced
the skate trick __(ly) until he got it right.
- compelling : boring :: scarce : _____
he forgot his wife's birthday, he had to _____ for several days before
she forgave him.
- In the fable
“The Tortoise and the Hare,” the tortoise is ______ ...
- ...and the hare is _____.
clown _____(tion) filled the parking lot with tiny cars.
- gossipy : discreet :: safe : ______
- His brother's sudden disappearance caused great ____ in the
- _____ llama was selected for the fair. a) Charles' b) Charles's c) Charle's d) NOTA
- I got all ____ on my report card. a) A's b) As c) 'A's d) NOTA
_____ lounge is usually off-limits to students. (More than one.) a)
teacher's b) teachers c) teachers's d) teachers' e) NOTA
- _____ llama is that? a) whose b) who'se c) who's d) NOTA
- I think that llama is _____. a) they're b) theres c) their's d) theirs e) NOTA
- The ____ softball team mascot is a llama. (More
than one.) a) women's b) woman's c) womens's d)
- I think ____ going to be OK. a) there b) their c) they're d) NOTA
- I saw at least five _____ in Las Vegas. a) Elvis's
b) Elviss c) Elvises' d) Elvises e) Elvi
- Is the title of this section spelled correctly? a) Yes n) No
- That embarrassing moment when you realize that your llama just
wrote a run on sentence. a) Fragment b) Run On c)
- Up, up, and away in my beautiful llama balloon. a) Fragment b) Run On c) Correct Sentence
- Sleeping in the dung heap, Brat dreamed of "snug cottages, and
warm bread, and mothers who hugged their babes." a) True b)
- Why did the midwife take Brat in? a) She felt sorry for
her. b) To save her from the bullying boys. c) She likes
kids. d) She thought she could exploit her. e) NOTA
- How does Beetle react to the boys' bullying? a) She runs
away. b) She tells the midwife. c) She asks them to stop.
d) She threatens them with witchcraft. e) She does nothing.
- Why does she react this way? a) She thinks she deserves
it. b) She can't think of anything else to do. c) It
works. d) She's afraid it will get worse if she doesn't. e)
- Why does Beetle curse at the cat? a) She hates cats.
b) She's sad because she thinks it's dead. c) It's all she
knows. d) She likes to curse. e) she's mean. f) NOTA
- Why does Jane make Beetle wait outside while she works? a)
Beetle doesn't know what to do anyway. b) Beetle would get in the
way. c) Jane thinks Beetle would mess something up. d) Jane
is trying to keep Beetle ignorant. e) NOTA
- Why do the villagers not like the midwife? a) She's
mean. b) She's not very good at her job. c) She's fat and
ugly. d) She's greedy. e) NOTA
- Why do the other villagers taunt and tease and abuse
Beetle? a) Because she's stupid. b) Because of the way she
talks. c) Because they are angry at the midwife. d) Because
they don't like beggars, as she used to be. e) They don't like
the way she looks. f) NOTA
- What event prompted Beetle to start watching through the windows
and learning from Jane? a) When Jane let her help in an
emergency. b) When the pregnant woman was giving birth in the
field. c) Nothing in particular; she just got too curious.
d) When Beetle begged and pleaded to be allowed to watch. e) NOTA
seems to be Beetle's main emotion so far? a) anger b)
hatred c) fear d) joy e) hope f)
- Sentence Scramble. Unscramble into one smooth sentence. Do not add or subtract any words. Punctuate!
--a long time --into the muddy pond --Beetle
waited --before she came --and
waded --out of hiding --into the muddy pond