KBARR: ___/40 TMA Quiz: ___/6 Transitions: ___/16
Vocabulary Homework: ___/20
Vocabulary Practice:___/14 ___/13 ___/13
Other Extra Credit:
Vocabulary. Each word will be used ONCE.
a) derivative b)
disreputable c) tumultuous d) tantalize e)
stanch f) boon g) sham h) incompetent i)
taunt j) abide
- Along some parts of the border, they have built a giant fence to
try to ______ the flow of illegal drugs and immigrants.
- Aspirin is a ______ of the bark of the willow tree.
- responsible : disreputable :: calm : ____
cat liked to "bite at the ____(ingly) moving pen."
- I cannot ____ someone who cheats; they lose all my respect.
looks like the train wreck was the result of a(n) ______ engineer
driving the train.
- Is high-technology a _____ for mankind...
- ...or is it a _____ and just another way for companies to sell more stuff?
- The bully ______ her about her raggedy clothes.
- Unlike the Socs, the greasers were considered to be _______ characters.
SAWs. a) regime b) diminish c) displace d) stable e) estimate
- Many of the the company’s factory workers have been ____(ed) by industrial robots.
- Another name for a refugee camp is a _____(ed) persons camp
- We have three ____ in our class. a) Morris's b) Morris' c) Morrises d) NOTA
- That embarrassing moment when you realize that your llama just
wrote a run on sentence. a) Fragment b) Run On c)
- Up, up, and away in my beautiful llama balloon. a) Fragment b) Run On c) Correct Sentence
- The upstairs library is a great place for quiet studying.
Adjectives? a) upstairs b) great, quiet c)
upstairs, great, quiet d) upstairs, great e) NOTA
- us: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
- The medication seems effective, _____, more research must be done
to see if it’s safe. a) therefore b) furthermore c) nevertheless
d) so e) consequently f) NOTA
- I would like to read many books; ______, I don’t seem to
have enough time to read. a) nevertheless b) furthermore c) then d)
therefore e) however f) NOTA
- John ate and ate, _____, he never gained
weight. a) even so b) furthermore c)
so d) therefore e) consequently f) NOTA
ate too fast. _______, he had a stomach ache. a)
Nevertheless b) Furthermore c) Meanwhile d)
Still e) As a result f) NOTA
- What is the "heat and light within" Beetle on p32 referring to? a) She has a fever. b) She
has a sunburn. c) The sadness she is feeling. d) The
happiness she is feeling. e) She got too close to a fire.
were all the people who were caught in chapter 7 shown mercy, and not
punished as severely as they normally would be? a) Their "crimes"
weren't that serious. b) They were needed by the village.
c) They thought the Devil made them do it. d) They were all
well-liked by the villagers. e) NOTA
- On which page was Alyce first foreshadowed to be the "Devil"? a) p40 b) p41 c) p43 d) p46 e) NOTA
does Jane the Midwife not notice that Alyce is gaining skills and
respect in the village? a) Because she hates Alyce. b) Because
she isn't, really. c) Because Jane is too self-centered. d)
Because Alyce doesn't tell her. e) NOTA
does Alyce deliver the bailiff's wife's baby, instead of the
midwife? a) The bailiff's wife asked for her. b) She would
do it for free. c) The midwife's ankle was still broken. d)
It was part of her training for helping the midwife. e) NOTA
prompted Alyce's first smile? (Be careful!) a) Delivering Alyce Little. b) The
compliment from the merchant. c) The compliment from the bailiff.
d) Helping Will deliver Tansy's calves. e) NOTA
- After she proved herself by delivering Alyce Little, the midwife
started to let Alyce watch and learn, and finally be a real apprentice.
a) True b) False
- Which of these is not an example of how clever Alyce is? a)
The way she made the "Devil" appear. b) The way she dealt with
the miller's wife. c) How she bluffed the boys. d) How she
found out about the Midwife's affair. e) How she slept in the
dung heap. f) All of the above are examples.
- So far, almost all the insults in the book insult your...
a) looks b) size c) intelligence d) smell e)
- What is the reason the boys give Alyce for taunting Runt?
a) He stole something. b) He's annoying. c) Because they
can't tease Alyce any more. d) Because he hurt one of them.