Notebook: ___/20 Old School KBARR: ___/40 (Write B if you blogged.)
Vocabulary Homework: ___/20
Vocabulary: 10/25:___/10 10/26:___/12 10/27:___/ 12
Warm Ups: 10/24: ___/8 10/25: ___/6 10/26: ___/6 10/27:___/7
Other Extra Credit:
- Along some parts of the border, they have built a giant fence to
try to ______ the flow of illegal drugs and immigrants. a)
boon b) stanch c) resound d) disreputable e)
- Aspirin is a ______ of the bark of the willow tree.
a) boon b) sham c) derivative d) disreputable e) NOTA
bought his computer from a ____ dealer, and when it broke the next day,
they told him he was out of luck. a) stanch b)
tumultuous c) adjustment d) disreputable e) taunt
- responsible : disreputable :: calm : ____ a) tumultuous b) sham c) incompetent
d) derivative e) NOTA
- Investors lost millions on the _____ investment scheme. a) boon b) stanch c) derivative d) sham e) NOTA
cat liked to "bite at the ____(ingly) moving pen." a)
resound b) tantalize c) abide d) incompetent e)
- I cannot ____ someone who cheats. a) abide b) sham c) boon d) incompetent e) taunt
the lottery is not always the _____ people think it will be. a) abide b)
sham c) disreputable d) boon e) NOTA
looks like the train wreck was the result of a(n) ______ engineer
driving the train. a) abide b) incompetent c) competent d) boon e) NOTA
- Is high-technology a _____ for mankind... a)
boon b) sham c) disreputable d) resound e) NOTA
- ...or is it a _____ and just another way for companies to sell more stuff? a) stanch b) tumultuous c) abide d) taunt e) NOTA
- ______ to toxic chemicals can damage your brain and body.
a) adjustment b) boon c) modifying d) exposure
- This week we will be working on ______ words and phrases such as “for example,” “secondly,” and “furthermore.” a) adjustment b) monitoring c) modify d) exposure e) transition
- Parents should ______ what their kids are watching and what games they are playing. a) adjustment b) boon c) modify d) transition e) monitor
- The bully ______ her about her clothes. a) boon b) stanch c) tantalize d) taunt e) sham
Husker Du Apostrophes.
- We have three ______ in our class. a) Morris's b) Morris' c) Morrises d) NOTA
- The ______ softball team is not allowed... a)
woman's b) womans' c) womens' d) women's
- ...in the _______ lounge. a) teacher's b) teachers' c) teachers's d) NOTA
- The first digital music players appeared in the ____.
(90) a) '90's b) '90s c) 90's d)
90s e) NOTA
- The _____ house has the best garden gnome. (Castillo) a) Castillos b) Castillo's c) Castillos' d) Castilloses' e) NOTA
- We have three _____ in our class. (Alexis) a) Alexis's b) Alexises c) Alexises' d) NOTA
- _____ idea was it to invite him? (Who) a) Who's b) Whose c) NOTA
TMA. Open book, chapters 1-3.
- Sleeping in the dung heap, Brat dreamed of "snug cottages, and
warm bread, and mothers who hugged their babes." a) True b)
- Why did the midwife take Brat in? a) She felt sorry for her. b) To save her from the bullying boys. c) She likes kids. d) She thought she could exploit her. e) NOTA
- How does Beetle react to the boys' bullying? a) She runs
away. b) She tells the midwife. c) She asks them to stop.
d) She threatens them with witchcraft. e) She does nothing.
- Why does she react this way? a) She thinks she deserves it. b) She can't think of anything else to do. c) It works. d) She's afraid it will get worse if she doesn't. e) NOTA
- Why does Beetle curse at the cat? a) She hates cats. b) She's sad because she thinks it's dead. c) It's all she knows. d) She likes to curse. e) NOTA
- Why does Jane make Beetle wait outside while she works? a)
Beetle doesn't know what to do anyway. b) Beetle would get in the
way. c) Jane thinks Beetle would mess something up. d) Jane
is trying to keep Beetle ignorant. e) NOTA
- Why do the villagers not like the midwife? a) She's
mean. b) She's not very good at her job. c) She's fat and
ugly. d) She's greedy. e) NOTA
- Why do the other villagers taunt and tease and abuse Beetle? a)
Because she's stupid. b) Because of the way she talks. c)
Because they are angry at the midwife. d) Because they don't like
beggars, as she used to be. e) They don't like the way she looks.
- What event prompted Beetle to start watching through the windows
and learning from Jane? a) When Jane let her help in an
emergency. b) When the pregnant woman was giving birth in the
field. c) Nothing in particular; she just got too curious.
d) When Beetle begged and pleaded to be allowed to watch. e) NOTA
- This way Beetle learned that midwifery was more about ______ and _____,
than about magic and potions. a) strong hands and clean
fingernails b) hard work and good sense c) slapping and
shouting d) herbs and tonics e) NOTA
- What seems to be Beetle's main emotion so far? a) anger b) hatred c) fear d) joy e) hope
Sentence Combining. Combine each group into one sentence. Proper punctuation counts. (2 points each.)
1a. The table is littered with garbage.
1b. The garbage belongs to the "other guy."
2a. Dishes are stacked in a pile.
2b. Cups are stacked in a pile.
2c. Yogurt cartons are stacked in a pile.
2d. The pile is disgusting.
3a. Off to one side is a hamburger.
3b. The hamburger is half-eaten.
3c. Flies swarm about there.
3d. The flies are hungry.