Warm Ups: ___/11, ___/10, ___/10
RBC: ____/10 ___/11
- Along some parts of the border, they have built a giant fence to
try to ________ the flow of illegal drugs and immigrants. a) boon b) stanch c) resound
d) disreputable e) sham
is a ________ of the bark of the willow tree. a) boon b)
sham c) derivative d) disreputable e) NOTA
- He bought his computer from a ____ dealer, and when it broke the
next day, they told him he was out of luck. a) stanch b)
tumultuous c) resounding d) disreputable e) NOTA
- Their relationship was rather _____, with lots of ups, downs, and
in-betweens over the years. a) tumultuous b) sham c)
incompetent d) derivative e) NOTA
lost millions on the ______ investment scheme. a) boon b)
stanch c) derivative d) sham e) NOTA
- The cat liked to "bite at the ____(ingly) moving
pen." a) resound b) tantalize c) abide d)
incompetent e) NOTA
- I cannot ____ someone who cheats. a) abide b) sham c) boon d)
incompetent e) NOTA
- Winning the lottery is not always the _____ people think it will
be. Often, the money brings unhappiness instead of happiness. a)
abide b) sham c) disreputable d) boon e) NOTA
looks like the train wreck was the result of a(n) __________
engineer driving the train. a) abide b) sham c)
disreputable d) boon e) NOTA
- On the last day of school, the screams of joy will ______ in the
hallways. a) boon b) sham c) disreputable d)
resound e) NOTA
- responsible : disreputable :: quiet : ___________ a) stanch b) tumultuous c) abide d) stanch e) NOTA
- The 42-0 score was a _____(ing) victory
for the home team. a) boon b) stanch c) resound
d) disreputable e) sham
- Sleeping in the dung heap, Brat dreamed of "snug cottages, and
warm bread, and mothers who hugged their babes." a) True b)
- The villagers don't like the midwife because she isn't very good at her job. a) True b) False
- Why do the villagers taunt and tease and abuse Beetle? a)
Because she's stupid. b) Because of the way she talks. c)
Because they are angry at the midwife. d) Because they don't like
beggars, like she used to be. e) It's just random.
- What event prompted Beetle to start watching through the windows
and learning from Jane? a) When Jane let her help in an
emergency. b) When the pregnant woman was giving birth in the
field. c) Nothing in particular; she just got too curious.
d) When Beetle begged and pleaded to be allowed to watch. e) None
of the above.
- Beetle learned that midwifery was more about ______ and _____,
than about magic and potions. a) strong hands and clean
fingernails b) hard work and good sense c) slapping and
shouting d) herbs and tonics e) none of the above
- Beetle puts up with the boys' abuse because she thinks she deserves it. a) True b) False
- What seems to be Beetle's main emotion so far? a) anger b) hatred c) fear d) joy e) hope
- Why does the merchant give Beetle the comb? a) He feels sorry for
her. b) He likes the way she handled the bargaining. c) She
looks like she needs a comb. d) All of the above. e) NOTA
- Why does Alyce save Will? a) She's scared she might go to Hell if
she doesn't. b) She's scared she'll be the one the village blames
for his death. c) She doesn't want to help send Will to
Hell. d) She says she doesn't know. e) None of the above.
- What does Will mean by "pluck"? (p39) a) brains b) love c) courage d) goodness e) NOTA
- What part of the story are we in? a) exposition b) inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e) falling action
- Something that is static does not... a) exist
b) stop c) stand d) move e) stay
- Five _______ parents will be guests of honor. a) student's b) students' c) students's
- That boy is rather talented; he'll go far if he works hard.~Which choice
lists all the adverbs? a) rather, talented b) rather, far
c) rather, talented, far d) rather, far, hard e) NOTA
- What does OTC stand for when it comes to drugs?
- What does that MEAN?
- The section of the label that explains what kinds of symptoms to take the drug for is called... ________________
- If I am at the Chestnut St. Mall and I want to get to Grand and Delaware as close to noon as possible, what time would I have to catch my bus? _______________
Peasant Life. (open)
- (2) The peasants' lives were controlled by...
- The mixture of mud, straw and manure that they used to build houses was called...
- (3) List three reasons they kept their animals inside the house.
- What was a major reason the water was contaminated?
- (3) List three ways peasant children's lives were different from yours.