Vocab Homework: ___/20 Vocab Practices: ___/14 ___/11 ___/10
Other Extra Credit:
a) fastidious b) insinuate c) improvise d)
shrewd e) allegory f) absolution g) consign h)
agitate i) sanction
- We ran out of the ingredients for the recipe, so we had to ______.
- Some people think that the Narnia series is a religious _________, with Aslan the lion representing Christ.
- Years of work were needed for the CIA agent to _____ himself into the terrorist organization.
- The protesters _____(ed) for changes in immigration laws.
- Jean is very _____ about her silverware; she won’t eat at that
restaurant because she thinks the forks aren’t clean enough.
- I didn’t like his ____(ion) that I wasn’t good enough to make the team.
- Some people see boxing as legally ______(ed) violence.
- The annoying kids taunted the dog over the fence until he was _____(ed) enough to jump it.
one is the allegory? (Be careful!) a) Mickey Mouse acting like a
human. b) "Motto" c) You can't teach an old dog new
tricks. d) Mind your own business. e) C and D. f) NOTA
SAWs. a) reverse b) release c) prohibit d) advocate e) contrary
- ______ to popular belief, one human year does not equal seven “dog years.”
- The root of this word means “voice.” _____
did Vladek think it was safe to go with the smugglers? a) They
spoke Yiddish. b) Mrs. Motonowa trusted them. c) His friend
Mandelbaum trusted them. d) Vladek got a letter back from someone
who said they got through safely. e) Anja trusted them. f)
- What is ironic about Vladek’s decision to try to go to Hungary
and give their spot at Mrs. Motonowa’s to Miloch and his family?
a) Because Mrs. Motonowa turned in Miloch. b) Because Miloch was
caught also. c) Because Miloch waited out the war safely with
Mrs. Motnowa. d) Because Anja told him not to. e) NOTA
- Why does Artie call Vladek a murderer in the last panel on
p161? He killed somebody in the war. b) He wasn't able to
save Mandelbaum. c) He destroyed all of Anja's diaries and
memories. d)Artie blames him for Anja's death. e) NOTA
- Why did
Vladek ask Artie and Francoise to come stay with him? a) He had a
heart attack. b) He got injured. c) He needs money.
d) Mala left him. e) NOTA
- An example
from Book II of Vladek’s ridiculous skinflint behavior is complaining
about Mala opening another container of salt. a) True b)
- Why does Artie say it's so hard to tell Vladek's story in comic
form? a) "Somehow I wish I had been in Auschwitz with my
parents..." b)"Maybe everyone has to feel guilty." c) "If it
wasn't so pathetic, it's be kinda funny..." d) "It's so
presumptuous of me..." e) "...so much has to be left out or
distorted..." f) NOTA
- What does Artie mean when he says he had a "sibling rivalry with a snapshot"? a)
"Somehow I wish I had been in Auschwitz with my parents..." b)
"...so much has to be left out or distorted..." c) "If it wasn't
so pathetic, it's be kinda funny..." d) "It's so presumptuous of
me..." e) NOTA
- What gave Vladek hope when he first got to Auschwitz? a)
Seeing Mandelbaum. b) Knowing the Poles who sold him out got sent
there too. c) Talking to Mandelbaum's nephew. d) The
priest's explanation of his number. e) NOTA
- What got Vladek special treatment from the kapo? a) Vladek
gave him a bribe. b) Vladek turned in someone who was
hiding. c) Because he was such a hard worker. d) Teaching
the kapo English. e) NOTA