Other Extra Credit:
AWR. a) enhance b) migration c)
conflicted d) fundamental e) attribute f)
despite g) integrate h) justify i) valid
- The rising cost of electricity provides a strong/powerful
_____ to conserve energy.
- The interviewer asked me what I consider to be my best _____. I told them it was my listening
- The patient died during the night _____ our best efforts to
- You can _____ the flavor of the dish by using fresh
- They have resisted efforts to _____women into the military.
- Ponyboy was _____ about being a greaser.
- Always _____
your KBARR predictions with reasons from the book.
- He ______(ed)
his great success to listening to the advice of his seventh
grade English teacher.
Clauses. I = Independent Clause.
D = Dependent Clause.
- A dependent
clause used as a sentence is called a... a) a
phrase b) a fragment c) a run-on d) a
subordinate clause e) NOTA
- Since my llama left me, I've found a new place to dwell.
a) I b) D c) I + D d) D + I
- Because Zoltan forgot his wallet, he couldn't buy
broccoli. a) I b) D c) I + D d) D + I
- If you leave
money in an account at least six months. a) I b)
D c) I + D d) D + I
- The llama
passed the test even though he didn’t study. a) I b)
D c) I + D d) D + I
- Since the
llama’s voice was strong, she was the lead in the musical.
a) I b) D c) I + D d) D + I
- The llama read
a magazine about raising rabbits. a) I b) D c)
I + D d) D + I
- Rudolpho was upset although his mom made his favorite
shnitzel. a) I b) D c) I + D d) D + I
- What eventually happens to Pesach? a) He bribes the
Germans and gets out. b) He stays with Vladek and the rest
in his bunker until the Germans leave. c) He pays someone
to smuggle him out of the ghetto. d) He bribes the
Germans, but they shoot him anyway. e) NOTA
- Why are the roads on p127 in the shape of a swastika? a)
In that part of Poland, the Nazis had paved some roads that way
as propaganda. b) No matter where Vladek and Anja go, they
will not be safe from the Nazis. c) It looks cool.
d) It wasn't really intended that way, but the angle of the
picture makes it look like a swastika. e) NOTA
- Vladek thinks Mala cares only about... a) comfort b)
money c) her family d) Artie e) NOTA
- What frustrates Mala so much about Vladek? a) He treats
her like a maid. b) He treats her like a
nurse. c) He is such a skinflint. d) He makes her
feel guilty. e) All of the above. f) NOTA
- Mala thinks his experiences in the war made Vladek how he is
today. a) True b) False
- Why is Artie worried about portraying Vladek as he really
is? a) He thinks people won't like Vladek, and so they
won't like the book. b) He thinks Vladek will be
offended. c) Vladek isn't really the way Artie shows
him. d) He thinks it might be disrespectful to Anja.
e) He doesn't want to further the stereotype of the greedy
Jew. f) NOTA
- Why is Anja's tail showing on p138? a) Her disguise
isn't as good as Vladek's. b) It's a printing
mistake. c) It shows how scared she is. d) It shows
that she can't pass for a non-Jew like Vladek. e) NOTA
- p144, center panel, the woman in the scarf. a)
Anja b) Mrs.Kawka c) Mrs. Motonowa d) Janina,
their former nanny e) Meinka f) Mala g) NOTA
- Why did Vladek think it was
safe to go with the smugglers? a) They spoke
Yiddish. b) Mrs. Motonowa trusted them. c) His
friend Mandelbaum trusted them. d) Vladek got a letter
back from someone who said they got through safely. e)
Anja trusted them. f) NOTA
- What is ironic about Vladek’s decision to try to go to Hungary
and give their spot at Mrs. Motonowa’s to Miloch and his
family? a) Because Mrs. Motonowa turned in Miloch.
b) Because Miloch was caught also. c) Because Miloch
waited out the war safely with Mrs. Motnowa. d) Because
Anja told him not to. e) NOTA
- Why does Artie call Vladek a murderer in the last panel on
p161? He killed somebody in the war. b) He wasn't
able to save Mandelbaum. c) He destroyed all of Anja's
diaries and memories. d)Artie blames him for Anja's
death. e) NOTA
- Why did
Vladek ask Artie and Francoise to come stay with him? a)
He had a heart attack. b) He got injured. c) He
needs money. d) Mala left him. e) NOTA
- Read these sentences from different sections of
The Allied powers, which included Britain, France, the
United States and many other countries, were harshly
criticized after the war for their failure to respond.
Increasing pressure on the Allied powers to create a
homeland for Jewish survivors of the Holocaust eventually
led to the creation of Israel in 1948.
What is the relationship between these two sentences? a)
They describe an effect and its early
causes. b) They show action taken to help after initial
inaction. c) They describe a fact and its
resulting opinions. d) They show a reaction and explain the
actions that caused it.
- Read this paragraph from the article.
By the spring of 1945, German leadership was dissolving
amid internal conflict. Several Nazi leaders were trying to
distance themselves from Hitler and take power. In his last
will and political testament, dictated in a German bunker on
April 29, Hitler blamed the war on “international Jewry and
its helpers.” The following day, he committed suicide.
Germany’s formal surrender in World War II came barely a
week later, on May 8, 1945.
What can be inferred from this paragraph? a) Hitler's death was the primary
reason for Germany's eventual surrender and the end of World
War II. b) Hitler continued to believe in
his cruel and hateful ideas despite evidence that he had
lost the support of others. c) Nazi leaders believed that
Hitler would have continued to lead them to victory if
he had not committed suicide. d) Nazi
leaders had planned to take power from Hitler since
the beginning of the war but were unable to do so.
Write an original sentence in this form: I + D.