KBARR: ___/40 Vladek Quiz: ___/6 Vocab H/W:
___/12 ____/10 ___/12
Other Extra Credit:
Vocabulary. a) ominous b) permeate c) dejected d)
assuage e) ubiquitous f) meticulous g)
assimilate h) solace i) petulant j) languid
- The man finally ______(ed) his intense thirst with a drink from the fountain.
- The smell of brownies ______ the house and made me very
- Whenever she was down about something, she always seemed to find
________ in her music.
- The roots of this word mean “change to sweet.”
- The roots of this root mean “to be like.”
- Since they were so tired, they walked at a very _____ pace.
- When the little girl gets tired, she gets _____, and pouts about
- It is taking us awhile to ______ the concepts of compound and
- When your sadness is _____(ed)...
- ...your soul has found ___.
- Vladek is so ____, he spent four hours unpacking, refolding and then repacking their luggage.
- By definition, a meme is _________.
- Words like since, unless and because signify that a sentence is... a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex d) NOTA
- The crew checked the llama, and the captain prepared it for the sea. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
- We can wait here until Carlos calls us. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
- Although it seemed essential to eat broccoli, I watched tv instead. a) Simple b) Compound c) Complex
does Francoise mean when she says, "I'll bet you that Anja's
notebooks were written on both sides of the page..." ? a)
Anja had a lot to say. b) Anja had nothing else to do but write
in her diary. c) Paper was hard to get. d) Vladek wouldn't
have wasted any paper he could write on. e) NOTA
- How does Vladek escape the ordeal by the lake? (begins p266)
a) He jumps in the lake and swims away. b) He bribes the
Germans. c) He sneaks out while the Germans sleep. d)
The Germans just leave. e) NOTA
- Where does Vladek say his "troubles began"? a) Auschwitz b)
Gross-Rosen c) the train car d) Dachau e) By the lake that
night. f) On the march out of Auschwitz. g) NOTA
- Why did the French man share his food with Vladek? a)
Vladek helped him get a clean shirt. b) Vladek helped him write
to his family. c) Vladek taught him English. d) Vladek
talked to him and they became friends. e) NOTA
- Chapter 5 begins with Artie listening to a tape recording of
Vladek describing Richieu's death. What literary device is this
called? a) foreshadowing b) metaphor c) simile
d) flashback e) NOTA
- Why did Vladek say they wanted to leave Poland after the
war? a) "We survived everything just to get shot while the
war ends!" b) "The Poles are still killing Jews there!" c)
"Let the Germans have a little what they did to the Jews." d) "It
was nothing anymore there for us..." e) "I had again a good business..." f) NOTA
- How did Vladek manage to sell all of the "unfashionable" stockings no one else could sell?
a) He tells people of his troubles in the war. b) He takes
advantage of his knowledge of textiles. c) He makes people buy
them to get something they want. d) He sells them really cheap. e) NOTA
- Why couldn't Vladek and Anja come to America after the war was
over. a) The US didn't allow Poles to immigrate. b)
The US didn't allow Jews to immigrate. c) They had nobody
to stay with here. d) They had a long wait for the proper
immigration papers. e) NOTA
- A DP is another name
for a... a) German citizen b) an American soldier c)
Nazi d) war prisoner e) a refugee f) NOTA
- What is a Gentile?
a) a German citizen b) American soldier c) a
non-Jew d) a war prisoner e) a
- Why do the Poles leave Anja alone after the war? (Unlike poor
Gelber.) a) She's a refugee. b) She is also a Pole.
c) She didn't try to get her property back. d) The Jewish
organization protected her. e) NOTA
- What gives Anja hope about Vladek after the war? a)
She heard good news from Mancie. b) The Jewish organization sent
word. c) The prediction from the Gypsy. d) She had a
dream. e) NOTA