Vocab H/W: ____/20 Vocab Practices: ___/12 ___/15
___/12 Vladek: ___/7
Other Extra Credit:
Vocabulary. a) quarantine b) hypochondria c)
pandemonium d) defray e) subjugate f) resolute
g) intercede h) disgruntled i) wallow j) pauper
- Their argument probably would have become violent if the
llama hadn’t _____(ed) between them.
- They took up a collection to help _____ the cost of
- When the Apollo 11 astronauts
returned from the moon, they were _____(ed) to make sure they
didn't bring back any "space germs."
- The prefix of this word means between. _____
- Anja was ______ about not giving up Richieu until it was too
- The ______ customers who were scammed...
- ...needed someone to _____ for them to get their money back.
- There was _____ in the streets of Philadelphia after the Super Bowl win.
Vladek is rich, he lives like a _______.
know she's hurt, but she should try to get on with her life instead of
just ______(ing) in her misery/self-pity.
SAWs. a) subsequently b) dominant c) scheme d) commission e) import
- Using a weapon in the _____ of a crime will increase your prison sentence.
- The Mona Lisa was a ______ from a rich merchant who wanted DaVinci to paint a portrait of his wife.
- People who are always ____(ing) and looking for a scam Vladek calls kombinators.
S/CD/CX. a) S b) CD c) CX
- Although it seemed essential to eat broccoli, I watched tv instead.
- He thought he was OK until he wasn’t.
- Rudolpho was upset, so his mom ate the cheeselog.
- Vladek and Mandelbaum were sold out by the smugglers and caught.
- Though he knew it was a mistake, he ate the doughnut anyway.
- You must say, “Sir” when you say, “Mr. Coward.”
- The crew checked the llama, and the captain prepared it for the sea.
- We can wait here until Carlos calls us.
does Artie say it's so hard to tell Vladek's story in comic
form? a) "Somehow I wish I had been in Auschwitz with my
parents..." b)"Maybe everyone has to feel guilty." c) "If it
wasn't so pathetic, it's be kinda funny..." d) "It's so
presumptuous of me..." e) "...so much has to be left out or
distorted..." f) NOTA
- What does Artie mean when he says he had a "sibling rivalry with a snapshot"? a)
"Somehow I wish I had been in Auschwitz with my parents..." b)
"...so much has to be left out or distorted..." c) "If it wasn't
so pathetic, it's be kinda funny..." d) "It's so presumptuous of
me..." e) NOTA
- Artie says that even Vladek's friends don't like him. a) True b) False
- What gave Vladek hope when he first got to Auschwitz? a)
Seeing Mandelbaum. b) Knowing the Poles who sold him out got sent
there too. c) Talking to Mandelbaum's nephew. d) The
priest's explanation of his number. e) NOTA
- What got Vladek special treatment from the kapo? a) Vladek
gave him a bribe. b) Vladek turned in someone who was
hiding. c) Because he was such a hard worker. d) Teaching
the kapo English. e) NOTA
- How does Art Spiegelman feel about turning Maus into
a tv show or movie? a) He is ambivalent. b) He is planning
it. c) He's for it, but only if it's done right. d) He's
against it. e) NOTA
- Why might Art show his drawing board atop a pile of bodies? (p201)
a) He wants us to remember how horrible things were for the Jews.
b) He wants to show how he feels guilty about his success being based
on other people's misery. c) It's a metaphor for how he feels
about his father. d) It's a metaphor for how he feels about the
Nazis. e) NOTA
- "It was a critical...success." (p201) What does he
mean? a) People criticized Maus for being mean to Vladek.
b) They sold a lot of related, licensed products with it. c) It
got good reviews. d) You saw a lot of ads for it on tv. e)
It made a lot of money. f) NOTA
- "It was a ...commercial success." (p201) What does he mean? a) People criticized Maus for being mean to
Vladek. b) They sold a lot of related, licensed products with it. c)
It got good reviews. d) You saw a lot of ads for it on tv. e) It made a lot of money. f) NOTA
- Which quote explains why Artie shrinks on p202? a) "Maybe
EVERYONE has to feel guilty." b) "...but mostly I feel like
crying." c) "Lately I've been feeling depressed." d)
"Sometimes I just don't feel like a functioning adult." e)
"...I just lie on my couch for hours and star at a small grease spot..." f) NOTA
- (2) The llama usually got seasick. He lived on a houseboat. (CX)
- (2) The llama usually got seasick. He lived on a houseboat. (CD)
- (2) The llama usually got seasick. He had a houseboat. (S)