Vocab Homework: ___/20 Vocab Practices: ___/13
Other Extra Credit:
Vocabulary. a) fastidious b) insinuate c) improvise d) shrewd e) allegory f) absolution g) consign h) agitate i) sanction
- We ran out of the ingredients for the recipe, so we had
- The Nuremberg Laws ____(ed) Jews to second-rate status.
- Years of work were needed for the CIA agent to _____ himself into the terrorist organization.
- Jean is very _____ about her silverware; she won’t eat
at that restaurant because she thinks the forks aren’t clean
- I didn’t like his ____(ion) that I wasn’t good enough to make the team.
- Some people see boxing as legally ______(ed) violence.
- Now that he had found religion, the former criminal wanted ______ for the things he had done.
- He fooled his pursuers with a _____ trick...
- ...that he ______(ed) on the spot.
- The annoying kids taunted the dog over the fence until he was _____(ed) enough to jump it.
- Which one is the allegory? a) Mickey Mouse acting like a
human. b) You can't teach an old dog new tricks. c) "The
Goose that Laid the Golden Egg" d) He slept like a rock. e)
B and D.
Commas. (Choose A-I for the comma rule needed for each sentence. I = No commas needed. Use your pink sheet.)
- I didn’t want to wake you up until I had to.
- I asked my BFF the lama what she wanted for lunch.
- This easy fun exercise will help you with your llama woes.
- Rachel Ray finds inspiration in cooking her family and her dog. (NOT H.)
- The funny sign should have said Slow Children Crossing.
- Until I ate that doughnut I didn’t know happiness.
- The wild llama is in fact a vicious predator.
- She wanted to tame the wild llama but it was too much for her.
- How does Pavel try to show Artie what Auschwitz felt like? a)
"You think it's admirable to survive..." b) "Boo!" c)
"People haven't changed." d) "The victims who died can never tell
their story." e) NOTA
- What makes Art shrink down again on p207? a)
Thinking about all the bodies. b) A talk with Francoise. c)
The thought of his success. d) A talk with his therapist.
- What's a barrack (aka a block)? a) Another name for
the gas chamber. b) A workshop building. c) A group of
prisoners. d) A building with the prisoners' bunks. e) NOTA
- Why does the tin shop foreman, Yidl, dislike Vladek? a)
Because Vladek is Jewish. b) Because Vladek is Polish. c)
Because Vladekis a capitalist. d) Because Vladek is too clever
for him. e) NOTA
- What does Vladek do to change Yidl's opinion?
a) He works harder. b) He bribes him with gold. c) He
bribes him with food. d) He teaches him English. e) NOTA
- What was Appel? a) When prisoners went before Dr. Mengele to be chosen or not to die. b) Another name for the block kapo. c) A group of workers chosen to do "Black Work." d) When prisoners lined up to be counted. e) NOTA
- Who helps Vladek establish and maintain contact with Anja? a) Pavel b) Yidl c) The kapo whose boots Vladek fixed. d) A German officer Vladek bribed. e) NOTA
- What was a Selektion? a) When prisoners went before Dr. Mengele to be chosen or not to die. b) Another name for the block kapo. c) A group of workers chosen to do "Black Work." d) When prisoners lined up to be counted. e) NOTA
- How does Vladek help Anja with her cruel kapo? a) He does her a favor. b) He bribes her with gold. c) He bribes her with food. d) He teaches her English. e) NOTA
Which quality does Vladek exhibit on the following pages?
- p191. a) stubbornness b) pride c) courage d) skill e) frugality f) NOTA
- p193. a) stubbornness b) pride c) courage d) loyalty e) b and d. f) NOTA
- p196-197. (At the Pines.) a) stubbornness b)
pride c) courage d) skill e) fugality f)