Husker Du: ___/6 ___/5 ___/5 ___/5
Giver Quizzes: ___/10 ___/10
Vocab Homework: ___/20 Vocab Practices: ___/12
Other Extra Credit:
b) phantom c) serene d) incense e)
surge f) alibi g) sprawl h) dismay i)
lapse j) resent
The lifeguard's vigilance 1._____(ed) for
a few minutes, but a boy almost drowned. Needless to say, his mom
not just 2.______(ed), she was 3.______(ed). The sunny, lazy,
4._____ afternoon turned scary when everyone saw the poor kid
5._______(ed) on the concrete next to the pool. The crowd of people
6._______(ed) toward the boy and the lifeguard, and when they saw a
7.___________ of life from the boy, they all cheered. The
they had felt earlier for his lack of supervision was temporarily
replaced by joy. But his 9.__________ later about the sun
being in his eyes 10. ________(ed) everyone even more.
11. Many amputees say they still feel pain and itching in the
missing limbs from time to time. This is called _____ pain.
12. Jonas became _______(ful) of the burden he had to bear, and just
wanted his childhood back.
13. As more people moved to the city, it began to _______ out into
the nearby farmland.
14. Even though Jonas is forbidden to talk about his training, he
thinks even if it were not, it still would be impossible to discuss
things with his friends. Why? a) Because they couldn't
understand anyway. b) Because they wouldn't believe him.
c) Because he would have to lie. d) Because they're not as
intelligent as Jonas. e) NOTA
15. The Giver thinks they made a mistake when they got rid of
color. a) True b) False
16. Which quote foreshadows a conflict between Jonas and the
community? a) “I apologize for making you wait.” p85 b)
“She expected him to describe his first day of training.” p85
c) “You’re beginning to see the color red.” p89 d) “We
shouldn’t have!” p91 e) “Everyone in the community has
one-generation memories.” p88-89
17. We are in the ____ of the story. a) exposition b)
inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e)
18. For Jonas, what is the most frustrating rule of his training? a)
The one about medication for pain. b) The one about talking
about his training. c) The one about rudeness. d) The
one about lying. e) NOTA
19. What disturbed Jonas the most about the memory of the
elephant? a) The guns. b) The blood. c) The
brutality of the men. d) The fact that there were two colors
of men. e) The anguish (pain) of the other elephant.
20. When the previous successor to The Giver failed, what happened?
a) The people had no one to make decisions. b) The
Receiver was punished. c) Her memories were released into the
Community, and the people felt pain. d) The books were banned
when people found out. e) They had to release her. f) NOTA
21. What does the Giver say that shocks Jonas? a) “I don’t
even know why they need a Receiver…” b) “Frightening isn’t
it?” c) “They know nothing.” d) “And you will (suffer).
It’s my life. And it will be yours.” e) “Sameness
sucks.” f) NOTA
23. On p100, when the Giver says, “And next it will be you. A great
honor,” he is being ironic. a) True b) False
24. The Giver says that knowing facts without having memories
is… a) stupid b) conflict-free c) easier d)
meaningless e) intelligent f) NOTA
Husker Du, Period 1. a)
enhance b) migration c) conflicted d)
fundamental e) integrate f)
despite g) attribute
h) justify i) valid j) incentive
25. They have resisted efforts to _____women into the military.
26. Ponyboy was _____ about being a greaser.
27. The rising cost of
electricity provides a strong/powerful _____ to conserve energy.
28. He ______(ed) his great success to listening to the advice of
his seventh grade English teacher.
29. The llama read a
magazine about raising rabbits. a) I b) D c) I +
D d) D + I
30. Always _____ your KBARR
predictions with reasons from the book.
Husker Du, Period 2.
25. gossipy : discreet :: outgoing : ______ a) grueling
b) cordial c) compelling d) abundant e)
diffident f) NOTA
26. Along some parts of the border, they have built a giant fence to
try to ______ the flow of illegal immigrant and drugs. a)
perceive b) resound c) stanch d) taunt e)
adversary f) NOTA
27. “I am but a poor woman with this wretched inn and a blind man to
care for. I am sure God does not ____ me my little economies.”
a) tumultuous b) concoction c) intrigue d)
enhance e) begrudge f) engross g) NOTA
28. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” This means that whoever
is doing the _____ is the one judging how beautiful something
is. a) groveling b) dispelling c) compelling
d) enhancing e) perceiving f) NOTA
29. Dally obviously has great _____ for the law and tries to
circumvent it as often as he can. a) transgression b)
disdain c) aghast d) heedless e)
disreputable f) NOTA
30. Which of the following
groups of words best describe the theme of "The Flying
Machine"? a) Strength, pain, joy. b) Foolishness, anger,
endurance. c) Communication, friendship, honesty. d) Fear,
frustration, bewilderment. e) NOTA
Husker Du, Period 5. a)
quarantine b) hypochondria c) disgruntled d)
defray e) resolute
g) intercede h) pandemonium i)
wallow j) pauper
25. Anja was ______ about not giving up Richieu until it was too
26. The ______ customers who were scammed...
27. ...needed someone to _____ for them to get their money back.
28. The root of this word was Latin for trickery or illusion.
_______ a) prestige b) deprive c)
disheveled d) suave e) affectation f)
ideology g) acute h) NOTA
29. The root of this word was French for hair. _____ a)
prestige b) deprive c) disheveled d) suave
e) affectation f) ideology g) acute h) NOTA
30. Stara Sosnowiec.
a) Vladek's birth village. b) One of the Nazi death
camps. c) A POW camp. d) The Jewish ghetto Vladek's
family was moved to. e) Where Vladek's factory was.
Period 6. a)
vivid b) saw c) iconic
d) pacify e) volatile
f) diminutive g) pragmatic h) daunting
i) dilemma j) aspire
25. The situation on Maple Street became _______
rather quickly, and then everything broke down.
26. Mr. Scrooge (“Bah, Humbug”) is the ____ skinflint.
27. She faced a _____
about turning in her friend for cheating.28. forgettable
: iconic :: emotional : _______
29. Who were the real "monsters"? a) Figure One and
Figure Two b) The people of the Twilight Zone. c) The
people of Maple Street. d) Whoever sent the ship. e)
30. skinflint : benevolent :: ______ : easy