Gramma: ___/12 ___/10 ___/10 Tom Sawyer: ___/5 ___/10 TSSQ:___/15
Vocab h/w: ___/20 Vocab Practice: ___/12 ___/11
Other Extra Credit:
a) noun b) pronoun c) verb d) adjective e) adverb f) conjunction g) interjection
- The only kind of word that takes an article in front of it.
- The possessive kind don’t need apostrophes.
- In the sentence, He ran yesterday the word yesterday is a(n) ______.
- The main one in a sentence is also known as the predicate.
- The words am, is, are, was, were are all _____(s).
- In many languages other than English, this comes AFTER the noun instead of before, as in English
- Answers the questions how, where, or when.
- Answers the questions which one, what kind, how many.
- Separated from the rest of the sentence by punctuation.
- He kept a running total of his grade.
- We were running the mile yesterday.
- Running in PE is easy.
swagger b) vanquish c) inundate d) indifferent
e) spiteful f) repentant g) becoming h) sullen
- She had her hair cut in a _______ new style that everyone liked.
- His e-mail account was ______(ed) by so much spam, that it crashed the server.
- After he was arrested for fighting, the soldier was reprimanded for “conduct (un)_____ an officer.”
- Alfred knew Becky had used him to be ______ toward Tom.
- Even after he was caught, the criminal was (un)_____. He didn’t think he had done anything wrong.
- “Every pore
inside the boys cheeks became a spouting fountain; they could scarcely
bail out the cellars under their tongues fast enough to prevent a(n)
- The students liked the teacher because she was ______, exciting, and rarely boring.
- To make sure the meeting went smoothly, they hired a(n) ________(or) to run the meeting.
- After he realized how much he hurt Aunt Polly, Tom was genuinely _____ for once.
- When he thought Becky was sick, Tom was so depressed he was _____ to all of Aunt Polly’s treatments.
- It is ironic that Huck is the one that is more scared in the graveyard. a) True b) False
- Why does Tom say that Muff Potter
is a "goner"? (p75b, p69w) a) Because he killed Doc
Robinson. b) Because he is going to tell on Injun Joe. c)
Because the howling dog was pointing at him. d) Because Injun Joe
is going to tell on Muff anyway. e) NOTA
- Aunt Polly punished Tom for
sneaking out at night by... a) whipping him. b) making him do
chores he hates. c) crying and making him feel guilty. d)
taking away his breakfast. e) making him stay in while the
other kids are playing. f) NOTA
- “…the latter’s retreat through the back gate was unnecessary.” (Last page of ch. 10.) What does this sentence mean?
a) Tom didn't have to do any chores that day. b) Tom didn't need
to run from Aunt Polly. c) Tom was too depressed to chase
Sid. d)Tom's "army" was retreating in the "war," but didn't need to. e) NOTA
- The "final feather that broke the
camel's back" for Tom was... a) getting whipped at school for playing
hooky. b) Becky returning his gift. c) getting whipped by
Aunt Polly. d) seeing Doc Robinson killed. e) NOTA
- Slang Translation: "I dasn't." a) I don't want to. b) I don't need it. c) I can't do it. d) I don't dare. e) NOTA
- The word jubilant
(p50/p45) most nearly means... a) hurting. b) happy.
c) worried. d) regretful. e) sad. f) NOTA
- We are in the ______ of the story. (ch. 10) a) exposition b)
inciting incident c) rising action d) climax e)
falling action f) resolution