Warm Ups: ___/7 ___/7 ___/7 ___/8
Spelling Sentences: ___/10 TS Quizzes: ___/6
Vocab h/w: ___20 Vocab Practice: ___/12 ___/12 ___/8
Other Extra Credit: SAWs? ____ pun?____ homophones/vain?____ Vocab Relay?____
Spelling. Choose the correctly spelled pair.
- group/center a) corpse/core b) core/corpse c) corps/corp d) corps/core
- city/building a) capitol/capital b) capital/capitle c) capital/capitol d) capitle/capital
- nugget/rank a) cernel/kernel b) colonel/kernel c) kernel/kernal d) kernel/colonel
- hero/inactive a) idole/idol b) idel/idol c) idle/idol d) idol/idle
- Cheerios/#25489 a) serial/cereal b) cereal/cerial c) cerial/serial d) cereal/serial
important/administrator a) princapal/princaple b)
principal/principle c) principle/principal d)
- who is/who owns a) whose/who's b) who's/whose c) who'se/who's d) who's/whos'
- belongs to them/they are a) their/they’re b) there/their c) their/there d) they’re/there
- it is/it owns a) it's/its b) its'/its c) it's/its'
- The word ____ comes from the French word for body. a) #7 b) #6 c) #4 d) #1 e) NOTA
Vocabulary. a) diverge
b) converge c) marked d) tedious e) exacting f)
folly g) vindictive h) auspicious i) novice j)
- During the period before Easter, you are supposed to ____ from something you enjoy.
- The A he received on the first test was a(n) _______ beginning to the quarter.
- The morning after Doc Robinson’s murder, the entire town ____(ed) on the scene of the crime.
- After he started studying for the tests, he saw a _____ increase in his grade.
- Since they believed Injun Joe had sold his soul to Satan, they thought it would be ______ to mess with him.
- The economy was strong; it was a(n) _____time to open a new business.
- Sometimes the work is _____, but it is important and it still needs to be finished. (Not exacting.)
- She needed to ____ from eating for 24 hours before her blood tests.
- He was a _____ in the kitchen, so his first recipe didn't come out very tasty.
- Tom Sawyer’s pranks are simply youthful _______.
- If two parallel roads diverged and then converged, what shape would they make? a) Y b) diamond c) X d) Z e) square f) NOTA
SAWs. a) facilitate b) economic c) attribute d) multicultural e) distinct
- In a debate, the moderator's role is to _____ the discussion by asking appropriate questions.
- In the interview, he _____(ed) all his success to listening to his 7th grade English teacher.
- “There must
‘a’ been an angel there.” a) Aunt Polly, about Tom’s dream. b) Aunt
Polly, about how an angel must have kept Tom safe. c) Sid, about Tom’s
dream. d) The minister, about the boys’ adventure. e) NOTA.
- Why does
Becky dump Alfred? a) Because he’s boring. b) Because he’s mean. c)
Because he’s too nice. d) Because Tom hates him. e) NOTA.
- Why does Tom say that Becky will get caught, even if he doesn't tell on her? a)
"Old Dobbins will just know who done it." b) Alfred was watching,
and will tell. c) She will admit it because that's the right
thing to do. d) "Girls' faces always tell on 'em." e) "Old
Dobbins will beat it out of one of us." f) NOTA
- Why was Tom not at all upset about being whipped for the ink in the spelling book? a)
He was too worried about Becky. b) He knew he could get revenge on the
one who really did it. c) He thought he might actually have done
it and not noticed. d) It was worth it. e) NOTA
- On p135: "...he had denied it for form's sake and because it was custom..." a) He
thought it was unfair, so he denied it. b) He denied it because
he always does. c) He knew he didn't do it, so he denied
it. d) He denied it because he knew Alfred really did it.
- On p137, the word indifference most nearly means... a) hatred b) dislike c) apathy d) jealousy e) anger f) NOTA
- On p138, read the sentence that begins "The
retribution that followed..." and ends with "...badly worsted." Which
is the best translation? a) The boys got
away with some of their pranks on the teacher. b) The boys kept
pranking the teacher more and more until they had beaten him. c)
Every time the boys tried to pull another prank, the teacher was ahead
of them and punished them even more. d) The teacher beat them so
many times, they finally gave up. e) NOTA