Reminders: Slang Paragraph is due tomorrow. Test tomorrow.
I. "Warm Up, 8/28/14." (10p) Do not copy. Write the answer (not the letter). This is a preview of the test tomorrow. But the test will be MC clicker.
- (2) An adjective is a word that...
- "The silly actor played the role of the jester perfectly." Adjective or not?
- As used in The Outsiders, the word hood is short for _____.
- lb. : pound :: Soc : _______
- An advantage of a 3rd person narrator is...
- you: a) 1st person b) 2nd person c) 3rd person d) 4th person
- In the poem "Delinquent," who's (the) delinquent? a)
Julie's parents b) Julie c) society d) All of the
above. e) NOTA
- (2) _______ doesn't fit because _____. evaluate, predict, question, summarize, react
Circle the adjectives... live!
- The smart investor made millions buying old buildings.
- "He has big black eyes and a dark tanned face..."
- "Two-Bit nodded wisely. 'Nice cut, too. Makes you look tough.'"
III. Vocabulary. Copy the words and defnitions.
connotation (n): what a word makes you think about (co- means together or with)
denotation (n): dictionary definition
savvy (v, n, adj): dig, ability to dig, showing the ability to dig
their connotations/denotations are similar, the words nosy and
curious have very different connotations/denotations.
IV. The Outsiders Who are the Outsiders??
What is the connotation of the word outsider?