|Warm Up V (1). "A Sound of Thunder"
"Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past." -- T. S. Eliot
|What? a) This is a paradox, and therefore meaningless. b) It means that you can't change what will happen in the future. c) It means that your actions in the present and past have effects on the future. d) It is saying you can't change the past.|
Vocabulary + Preview
1. "Crushing certain plants could add up (graftly, infinitesimally,
intuitively, shrewdly). A little error here would multiply in sixty million
years, all out of proportion."
2. "The government doesn't like us here. We have to pay big (subtle, dirigible, graft, savvy) to keep our business."
3. The green carpet of grass and moss was (subtle, poised, infinitesimal, resilient) and soft.
4. "Maybe Time can't be changed by us. Or maybe it can be changed only in little (resilient, subtle, graft, poised) ways."
5. "It ran with a gliding ballet step, far too (graft, intuitive, poised, shrewd) and balanced for its ten tons."
6. "In the slime, tiny insects wriggled, so that the entire body seemed to twitch and (poise, subtle, undulate, graft), even while the monster itself did not move."
· Based on the above quotes from the story, "A Sound of Thunder",
what do you think the story might be about?
· If you could go back in Time, when would you go, and why?
· If you could change something in the Past, what would it be, and why?
Vocabulary Pretest for these words is here.