Prep sheet for Test 28:
- For each pair of words, move one letter from one word to the other to make a pair of synonyms. Example: boast — hip. Move the S and you get boat — ship. The movement could go either way.
a) open — cop b) cave — curt c) cares — pest
- What book can an author never really finish writing?
- George Washington’s wife was sweeping when George Washington’s wife slipped and got wet. How many w’s in all?
- When is 30 plus 30 equal to 1?
- Change the position of just one of the words below so that all the words are in an alphabetical sequence:
llama, phoenix, hyena, alligator, beaver, elephant, tortoise, antelope
- Two friends were talking. Bob said “Have you ever thought about what rhymes with orange?” Ben replied, “Nothing rhymes with orange.””Actually something rhymes with orange,” said Bob. Who is right?
Husker Du, Period One.
27. There are shells all over the beach, let’s collect some! a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
28. The ______ sets our story, or plot, in motion. a) climax b) inciting action c) exposition d) rising action e) climax
29. Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water. a) Fragment b) Complete Sentence c) Run-On
30. The medication seems effective. _____, more research must be done to see if it’s safe. a) But b) Nevertheless c) Because d) So e) NOTA
31. Why would Johnny be “having the time of his life” in the church? a) He wants to pay back for what he did to Bob. b) He likes little kids. c) He feels needed for the first time. d) He thinks the cops will go easy on him. e) He secretly wants to die. f) NOTA
32. Herds of fiendish llamas called dooms roam the empty countryside. a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
33. most important : ___ :: administrator : ___ a) princapal/princaple b) principal/principal c) principle/principal d) principal/principle
Husker Du, Period Two.
27. “It’s just because you’re the baby–I mean he loves you a lot. Do you ____?” a) sage b) gingerly c) savvy d) conform e) connotation f) NOTA
28. I was able to _____ the meaning of the word from the way it was used in the sentence. a) bleak b) infer c) rueful d) gingerly e) conform f) NOTA
29. Even though their _____ are similar, the words nosy and curious have very different _____. a) connotations/denotations b) denotations/connotations.
30. you: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
31. she: a) first person b) second person c) third person d) fourth person
32. pain : pleasure :: confusion : ____ a) sage b) infer c) savvy d) rueful e) conform
33. There are shells all over the beach, let’s collect some! a) Fragment b) Run-On c) Complete Sentence
Husker Du, Period Three.
27. What prompted Alyce’s first cry? a) When she couldn’t find Edward. b) When Edward said he was happy at the manor. c) When the cook said they looked like twins. d) When Edward first hugged her. e) When the carpenter’s assistant said Edward might have been eaten by a goat. f) NOTA
28. When the author says on p92 that the cook had “words pouring forth from her mouth with none to listen,” what does she mean? a) The cook is crazy. b) The cook is talking to herself.c) Everything the cook says is a lie. d) Nobody listens to the cook. e) NOTA
29. Unless you leave Laguna with some good reading skills, you will _____ in high school. a) meander b) flounder c) ample d) deceit e) bustle f) NOTA
30. I know Pedro quite well. _____, Pedro happens to be my best friend. a) nevertheless b) in fact c) meanwhile d) still e) as a result f) NOTA
31. Are there political or corporate biases? a) Currency b) Purpose c) Authority d) Accuracy e) Relevance
32. I’m a good bowler, and my ball has pretty flowers on it. a) good – adjective, pretty – not b) good – not, pretty – adjective c) both adjectives d) both not
33. Even though their _____ are similar, the words nosy and curious have very different _____. a) connotations/denotations b) denotations/connotations.
Husker Du, Period Six.
27. Unless you leave Laguna with some good reading skills, you will _____ in high school. a) meander b) flounder c) ample d) deceit e) bustle f) NOTA
28. Why was Magister Reese watching Alyce at first? a) Because she was pretty. b) Because he wondered why she was so gloomy. c) Because of the way the cat hung around her. d) He’s just weird. e) NOTA
29. “Too much ale and too few wits” = a _______. a) surfeit b) lout c) contented d) remedy e) sullen f) NOTA
30. The medication seems effective. _____, more research must be done to see if it’s safe. a) But b) Nevertheless c) Although d) So e) NOTA
31. She tried to _____ the situation by apologizing to her friend. a) scowl b) remedy c) content d) devour e) begrudge f) NOTA
32. The part of the story where the midwife won’t take her back. a) climax b) rising action c) falling action d) resolution e) exposition
33. “I am but a poor woman with this wretched inn and a blind man to care for. I am sure God does not ____ me my little economies.” a) berate b) begrudge c) reluctant d) discontented e) sullen f) NOTA
Doodle Theme: Weird Bikes.