Tomorrow’s Test: Vladek and Vocab and maybe Husker Du from Test #13.
“Vocab 12/5.” Each word is used once. Yup, you have to do some thinking on this one. Don’t necessarily do them in order! Do the ones you know first and cross them off the list
prestige, deprive, disheveled, suave, affectation, non sequitur, acute, prevalent, ideology, zealous
- The root of this word was Latin for influence. _____
- The root of this word was Latin for having greater power _____
- The root of this word was Latin for not in sequence. _____
- The root of this word was Latin for jealous. _____
- The root of this word was Latin for agreeable. ______
- The root of this word was Latin for needle. _____
- The root of this word was Old French for hair. _____
- The root of this word was Latin for trickery or illusion. _______
- The root of this word was Latin for form or pattern. _____
- The roots of this word were Latin for completely away from public life. _____
Vocabulary Relay! Only 10 Words; how fast can you go?
Prep for 120 Seconds. Writing your intro. You need about 200 words. If you don’t have a book yet, we need to talk. NOW!
- Start with a little hook:
- Imagine yourself…
- Throughout history mankind has…
- It was a dark and stormy night…
- What do you call a… (joke)
- Once upon a time…
- Have you ever wondered…
- What if…
- Jimmy was a boy who…
- Scary, gripping, and difficult to put down…
- Give us the required info:
- Genre (Not just fiction/non; we want something like romance, sci fi, horror, mystery, fantasy, comedy, historical fiction, etc.)
- Time for the 5 W’s for the BOOK:
- This is the story of…
- This book is about…
- Set in the future…
- Not too much detail; you have less than a minute.
- Now to set up the PASSAGE:
- This is the part of the book where…
- This is the scene when…
- _____ is about to _____
Correct Maus Quiz from yesterday. (15p) Trade ‘n grade.
- (2) What things does Artie say have “taken their toll” on his father?
- What physical sign does Vladek still have from the concentration camps?
- Why is Chapter One called “The Sheik”? (Because…)
- On p14, the circular panel marks the beginning of Vladek’s story in the past. Where do we first interrupt that story, and come back to the present for a moment? (page and panel)
- Maus is told in ____ person. a) 1st b) 2nd c) 3rd d) 4th
- What year did Vladek meet Anja? (p17)
- Why does Anja want to break her engagement with Vladek before they married?
- (quote) What promise to his father does Artie break?
- Why does Vladek threaten to end the engagement with Anja?
Character ID. Identify each person either by name (if given) or by explanation.
- p13, panel 4, the one in the dress.
- (2) p17, panel 2, both characters.
- p20, panel 1, the person with the cigarette.
- p20, last panel, the person on the right.