…and then… Four Day Weekend!
7th Grade Informative/Explanatory District Writing Assessment – Day 2
When you are finished, make sure you have TYPED your name at the top of the document, and then please SHARE your document with me. I will handle printing it!
- Use the highlight feature to pick sections of the texts to use in your essay. Highlight them and type a note or two on how you might use it.
- Be sure to say, “According to…” or “So-and-So says…” or “In the article…” EVERY TIME you use something from one of the articles.
- You should use something from all three sources.
- PROOFREAD! SPELLCHECK!
- Use an example to start the essay, and then ANSWER THE QUESTION (“Technology has had several important effects on communication today. The above was just one example…”).
- What do all three articles have in common? What are all three trying to say?
7th Grade Informative/Explanatory District Writing Assessment
Technology is anything created for a specific purpose. A ruler, cell phone, lined paper, and a rocket ship are all technology. Basically, anything that helps make our lives easier is considered technology. In today’s world, technology is growing and changing rapidly to suit our needs. Specifically, it is helping how information is communicated like never before. As you read, think about the ways technology has impacted the way we communicate today.
You are going to study three sources that talk about technology and communication:
As you study these sources, think about what they show you about technology and how it is used to communicate information.
Finally, using these three sources, you will write an informative/explanatory essay explaining your thinking.
For the essay, your focusing question is:
According to these sources, how has technology had an impact on communication?
Remember, a good informative essay:
- Has a clear introduction
- States a focus/thesis clearly, precisely, and thoughtfully
- Uses specific cited evidence from the text(s) to support and develop the topic and explains that evidence
- Concludes effectively
- Uses precise language
- Shows control over conventions
Your essay will be scored using the following criteria:
- Purpose and Organization: Is the main idea clearly communicated? Is the essay clearly focused? How well did your ideas thoughtfully flow from beginning to end using effective transitions? How effective was your introduction and your conclusion?
- Elaboration/Evidence: How well did you integrate relevant and specific information from the sources? How well did you elaborate your ideas? How well did you clearly state ideas using precise language that is appropriate for your audience and purpose?
- Conventions: How well did you follow the rules of grammar usage, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling?