- The author Ray Bradbury was a very ____ writer, writing at least a thousand words per day.
- The bank clerk had to examine the two $100 bills very carefully to tell which was ______.
- He ____(ly) tried to jump the fountain on his motorcycle.
- That kind of car is very fast, but it is _____ to break down often.
- Work is what you are ______(ed) to do. Play is what you are not _____(ed) to do. (Same word.)
- Pony couldn’t get the image of Bob, ______ on the pavement, out of his head.
- On the show CSI, the crime scene investigators used science to ____ whom the killer was.
“TYM, 3/19.” Write the ANSWER. (15) Bonus. How does the African proverb, “It takes a village to raise a child,” relate to the story?
- Roger is… a) a big strong kid. b) just average build. c) thin but muscular. d) weak and delicate. e) fat. f) NOTA
- Why might the boy have told the woman that he would run if she let him go? a) He was afraid of her. b) He knew she wouldn’t believe him if he said he wouldn’t. c) He figured she wouldn’t let him go anyway. d) All of the above. e) NOTA
- Roger probably would have gotten away with Mrs. Jones’ purse if only… a) he could have run faster. b) Mrs. Jones had not kicked him. c) the purse strap hadn’t snapped. d) he were a little sneakier. e) NOTA
- Roger tried to steal Mrs. Jones’ purse… a) because he was hungry and needed money for food. b) for the excitement. c) because he wanted a pair of shoes. d) because his family was poor and needed money. e) a and d. f) NOTA
- (quote) What does Mrs. Jones say Roger could have done to get the money instead of trying to steal her purse?
- Why does the boy say his face is dirty? a) He hates to wash. b) He has nobody to tell him to wash it. c) He’s been sleeping outside. d) The water has been shut off at his house. e) NOTA
- Why might Mrs. Jones treat Roger the way she does? a) Because she’s lonely and needs someone to talk to. b) She was like him as a kid herself. c) She realizes that he needs someone to take care of him and teach him a few things. d) She thinks he needs the money. e) b and c e) All of the above.
- (quote) Why doesn’t Roger run after she turns him loose, or steal her purse when she leaves him alone with it?
- How is the story related to the Emily Dickinson poem? a) They’re both about broken hearts. b) They’re both about a nice person. c) The story’s author, Langston Hughes, was a poet too. d) The speaker of the poem wants to do what Mrs. Jones did. e) Both the poem and the story tell us what we should do with our lives.
If I can stop one Heart from breaking
I shall not live in vain
- (6) Draw a PLOT MOUNTAIN diagram for this story. Include one event for each part of the diagram.
“The Earth Men” from The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.
What happens (historically) when two very different cultures meet?
What does telepathy literally mean? ___ ___. (Up to +2!)
What do you think having true telepathy would be like?
Let’s go to Mars.