Second Bonus: What do the roots of the word homophone literally mean? ____ _____.
“Vocab, 9/17.” (10p)
- buy : sell :: boycott : ____
- legitimate : illicit :: combined : ____
- The teacher tried to ____ the correct response from the students by giving hints.
- This word literally means “discovered speechless.” ______
- I did not want to be ___(ed); I felt I was savvy enough to make my own decisions.
- I was _____ to tell the teacher about the cheating I saw, because the person was my friend.
- I am never going to ____ that store again after they were so rude to me.
Fragments and Run-ons. (FRO’s)
What’s wrong with the following “sentences”?
- The llama in the field.
- Every day after school.
- Whenever the llama sings.
- The llama that is so smart.
What about these?
- I love that llama he’s so sweet.
- I saw a llama yesterday it was purple.
- The llama helps me with my homework he does a great job.
- It’s too far to walk, let’s ride a llama.
How do we fix them? How do we avoid them?
“FRO Practice I, 9/17.” (7p) Write CS, F, or RO for each word group. Tell how to fix the FROs for extra credit!
- Laughing at the comedian’s act.
- Chief Wiggum, the doughnut-eater and chief cop.
- Up the mountain we hiked.
- The wagon was loaded with food it was pulled by two teams of horses.
- There are shells all over the beach let’s collect some!
- On his back, the bug wriggled his little legs.
- Into the hole fell he.
- I love that story; I have read it three times.