RED ALERT: I have noticed Learner’s Dictionary sentences turning up as Show Me YOU Knows. UhUhUh!!! THIS IS A PLAGIARISM! IT ENDS NOW.
Tomorrow’s Test: Adjectives, Vocabulary, Outsiders, Classwork, Husker Du?
“Adjectives, 8/31.” Copy the word and say whether it is an adjective or not.
- The running we do in PE is easy.
- I like the sound of running water.
- Yesterday we were running through the field.
- She was part of an elite gymnastics team.
- Dally gave her a roguish smile.
Vocabulary, 8/31.” (11p) Write the word.
- laugh : happy :: _____ : hurt
- I tried to act cheerful, but it was just a __. I was really depressed inside.
- Her gentleness was a(n) _______ in her job as a veterinarian.
- If you make the Scholar List you are a part of the educational _______.
- Even after I read the poem three times, the meaning still ______(ed) me.
- The ____ firefighters battled the dangerous fire and saved the family.
- It would be ironic for a pilot to be scared of heights. True / False
VOCABULARY RELAY #2!
Next Writing Assignment:
SHOW not TELL
“Don’t tell us that the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.”
cool, pretty, fun, scary, weird, ugly
What does each of these things LOOK like?
These are actually opinions, NOT descriptions! (Yes, I know they are technically adjectives.)
What’s “cool” to you could be “gross” to me or your mom!
You need to show us what this looks, sounds, tastes, smells, feels like!
Describe in detail what this might LOOK/SOUND like:
Compare two examples…
“My Room is Such a Mess” due next Thursday, 9/7.
Show me the most nightmarish room imaginable. I want to feel, see, hear, taste (ewww), smell everything.
1 page (350+ words), ink, ndp, title.
mess(y), gross, disgusting, dirty, stinky, etc. No opinions, just WDILL?
“Don’t Judge!” What have we seen so far in The Outsiders that illustrates the concept of “don’t judge a book by its cover”?
Try to think of as many examples as possible. In your group, tell each other which ones you thought of. The group with the most good examples wins +3 tomorrow!
- point of view?